The Fender American Original Jazz Bass captures the vibe of the bass that changed the 60s. With its Rosewood board, this bass is incredibly playable and the thin 60s C-shaped neck makes this bass a popular choice for many different genres of music.
The 2 singlecoil pickups are both fat sounding Pure Vintage '64 pickups with loads of articulation so that you'll still retain clarity, even when driving a powerful bass amp.
The American Original Range
The American Original range focus on decades rather specific years - which could get quite confusing at times.
These basses have also got a Modern fretboard radius with a vintage-shaped neck to ensure they're as playable as possible.
One of the best things about the American Original guitars is their Nitro-Cellulose finish which is done to ensure that these instruments resonate like the Fender guitars of old. The Nitro finish is thinner than a modern gloss finish and this allows the wood to breathe and resonate.
The nitro finish will also mean the guitar will age beautifully. So your instrument will grow old with you and simply sound better with age as the wood and finish settles.
Here's what Fender say about the American Original 60s Jazz Bass
Released in 1960, the upscale Jazz Bass quickly found favor among working bassists thanks to its premium appointments and versatile sound. The narrower neck seemed tailor-made for fast, dexterous playing, while the pair of single-coil pickups added a bold new dimension to Fender bass tone. The American Original ‘60s Jazz Bass has all the tone and style of its earliest incarnation, with modern playability.
The Pure Vintage ’64 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups are as period-correct as possible, from the enamel-coated coil wire to the cloth-covered output wires, fiber bobbins and alnico 5 magnets. There’s no mistaking the sound of these pickups—from a deep growl to articulate punch, they are the voice of this legendary bass. The slim “’60s C”-shaped neck profile and 9.5”-radius round-lam rosewood fingerboard combine for an agile playing feel. Other authentic touches include vintage-tall frets, original-era body radii, vintage-style hardware—including a four-saddle vintage-style bridge—vintage-style hardshell case and a lacquer finish that not only lets the wood “breathe” naturally with resonant tone, it also wears in a distinctively appealing way.
An inspiring instrument, the American Original ’60s Jazz Bass is the best way to add original-era Fender tone and style to your sound.
- Alder body with lacquer finish
- Two Pure Vintage ‘64 single-coil Jazz Bass pickups
- Slim “’60s C”-shaped neck profile; 9.5”-radius round-lam rosewood fingerboard
- Vintage-style hardware; four-saddle bridge
- Includes vintage-style hardshell case
- Series: American Original
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Maple, ‘60s “C”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 20, Vintage Tall
- Position Inlays: Vintage Clay Dot
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.48” (37.59 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Reverse Open-gear
- Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
- Bridge: 4-Saddle Vintage Style with Threaded Steel Saddles
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Brown Shell
- Pickups: Pure Vintage ‘64 Single-Coil Jazz Bass (Bridge/Middle)
- Controls: Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender® USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Vintage-Style Hardshell