Jimi Hendrix - the most legendary name in the guitar world. Almost 50 years since his passing, Fender has paid homage to the iconic Seattle-born rocker with a Custom Shop Stratocaster based on "Izabella" - the guitar that Jimi famously played during his iconic rendition of the 'Star Spangled Banner' at Woodstock '69.
Limited to just 250 pieces worldwide, the Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster boasts a relic'd nitrocellulose finish that has been recreated with incredible accuracy; almost every ding and scratch mirrors the original. Also featuring time-honoured hardware appointments and specs, the Custom Shop Hendrix Strat is equipped with a set of hand-wound ‘69 Strat single-coil pickups that harness the essential Hendrix sound.
Here's what Fender says about the Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster:
As an avowed Stratocaster fanatic, Jimi Hendrix had many examples pass through his hands. One in particular stood out to him, eventually being graced with a name—Izabella—inspiring the song of the same title. This guitar’s most famous appearance was during his August 18th, 1969 performance at Woodstock, which featured his incendiary rendition of ‘Star Spangled Banner’. The artisans at the Fender Custom Shop have recreated this iconic instrument in painstaking detail—even down to the scratches and dings—leaving no (third) stone unturned in their quest for accuracy.
We’re proud to present the result: the Limited Edition Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster, a representation of the way the Olympic White Stratocaster looked when he strapped it on that Monday morning at Yasgur’s farm and serenaded the rising sun, backed by Gypsy Sun and The Rainbows, bringing his brand of “electric church music” to the masses.
Purchased at Manny’s Music in NYC in ’68, this guitar (Serial Number 240981)was slightly modified to reflect Hendrix’ needs as a left-handed player, including being drilled for a strap button on the lower horn—a modification we reproduced here. This model is period-correct, from the stripeless “‘60s Oval C”-shaped maple neck with a 7.25”-radius round-lam maple fingerboard, bearing 21 vintage-style frets. The period accurate 3-ply Parchment pickguard is loaded with a trio of hand-wound ’69 Strat® pickups tied together with vintage-style wiring and a 3-way pickup switch.
Other features include vintage-style “F” tuning machines, bone nut and wing string tree. Includes deluxe hardshell case, custom strap, custom headband, coiled cable, commemorative booklet and Certificate of Authenticity.
- Body Material: Select Alder
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Flat Sawn Maple, ‘60s “C”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” (184.1 mm)
- Frets: 21, Vintage Style
- Position Inlays: Black Dots
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome Closet Classic
- Bridge: 6-Saddle American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
- Control Knobs: Vintage White
- Pickups: Custom Shop Hand-Wound ‘69 Strat Single-Coils
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Middle Pickup, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel .010-.046 Gauges
- Case/Gig Bag: Deluxe Hardshell