In June 1969, supergroup Blind Faith famously debuted at London’s Hyde Park to 120,000 people. On stage, Eric Clapton brandished a guitar quite unlike anything else; a modified ’64 Telecaster Custom with a Strat neck.
To honour this now-legendary performance, Fender master builder Todd Krause remade Clapton’s iconic instrument down to the finest detail – complete with a commemorative neck plate. Limited to 50 guitars worldwide, this is a truly unique, rare addition to the Fender Custom Shop catalogue.
- Only 50 available worldwide
- Bound Telecaster Custom Alder body with Faded 3-Colour Sunburst
- Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish
- 1-piece Maple neck with soft V profile, modelled on Clapton’s famous Brownie ’56 Strat
- ‘50s Stratocaster headstock
- Custom Shop Hand-wound ’63 Tele Single-coils
- Relic Chrome-plated hardware including 3-Saddle Vintage Tele Bridge
- Accessories include Deluxe Hardshell Case, Custom Strap and Certificate of Authenticity
Here’s what the Fender Custom Shop says:
1969 was a banner year for festivals, with one of the most musically influential being the Hyde Park concert on June 7th, 1969 when supergroup Blind Faith made its debut before 120,000 people. While they played most of their first album, along with a cover or two as nods to friends in attendance, Eric Clapton wielded a unique instrument—a modified 1964 Telecaster Custom that sported an unusual headstock and heavy wear patterns on the maple fingerboard.
Later he revealed he had swapped the original Tele neck with its rosewood fingerboard for the Strat neck from “Brownie”, his famous ’56 Strat because he preferred its tone and comfortably broken-in “Soft V” profile. Master Builder Todd Krause has replicated this guitar in painstakingly precise detail for the Custom Shop—and added a few inspired touches, like a special neck plate commemorating the date of the concert.
The two-piece, select alder double-bound body wears a Journeyman Relic lacquer finish that displays the scars it earned during its service with Clapton and will wear in a personal way. Krause added a tinted maple neck with a “Custom V”-shaped profile, cloned directly from “Brownie”. Hosting a 7.25”-radius maple fingerboard with 21 vintage-size frets, it displays Clapton’s exact wear patterns along the sides and fingerboard.
The duo of Custom Shop Hand-Wound ’63 pickups are period-accurate, packed with authentic Fender tone and connected with ’63-style wiring to the 3-way pickup switch. Other features include 3-ply parchment pickguard, ’64 Tele bridge with three threaded steel saddles, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut and wing string tree. Includes a custom deluxe hardshell case, custom strap, custom neck plate with the date of the Hyde Park concert as the serial number and special Certificate of Authenticity, personally signed by Clapton.
- Model Name: Limited Edition Eric Clapton Blind Faith Telecaster by Todd Krause, Maple Fingerboard, Faded 3-Color Sunburst
- Model Number: 9216060769
- Series: Limited Edition
- Color: Faded 3-Color Sunburst
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Body Material: 2-Piece Select Alder
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Maple
- Neck Shape: "V" Shape
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Vintage Style
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Headstock: Stratocaster
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Serialized
- Neck Finish: Tinted Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound '63 Single-Coil Tele
- Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound '63 Single-Coil Tele
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: Single Coil
- Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage Style Tele with Threaded Steel Saddles
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Hardware Finish: Relic Chrome-Plated Hardware
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
- Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges)
- Included Accessories: Deluxe Hardshell Case; Custom Strap; Special Certificate of Authenticity