Your very own SSL Desk...
It may not be quite as expansive as the legendary SSL Desks found in the top studios like Air or Abbey road. But at a fraction of the price, this fantastic piece of kit gives you the essentials or "nucleus" of the SSL experience for a modern digital studio.
Since the Nucleus first arrived in 2010, it's been hugely successful and has even picked up some awards along the way. What's not to love about the SSL console grade mic preamps and complete control of your DAW and studio monitoring. With excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail, the Nucleus provides the perfect setup for a modern producer that does most of his work "in-the-box".
Nucleus 2- What's New
In the time since the Nucleus was launched, SSL have been taking in valuable feedback from their loyal customers who have consistently used the Nucleus in their sessions. As a result the Nucleus 2 has a number of fantastic hardware updates that new users will really appreciate.
Integrated Talkback- the Nucleus now features a a talkback input with adjustable gain, routed through the headphone output. There's a big accessible "Talk" button, and you can even set a -20dB DIM in the monitor outputs if you need to be heard when the sound's blaring.
Main/Mini Monitor Switching- You can now connect 2 sets of monitors to the Nucleus and switch between them to compare your mixes on your main and mini monitors.
Better sound with Dante- The Nucleus has switched its USB soundcard for a Dante System that uses Ethernet to connect directly to your DAW System with only 4ms latency. It's also scalable so that you can expand your system with ease when the time comes.
New White Finish- the fresh new paintjob on the Nucleus 2 looks smart, uncluttered and easy to navigate
Same Great Workflow
The Nucleus 2 still has the same intuitive workflow and empeccable design as the original The rugged metal chassis, high-quality motorised faders, a big weighty jog wheel and heavy duty buttons make the Nucleus feel great under the fingers; and it's all made lovingly in SSL Cambridge in the UK.
- Ethernet connected DAW Controller for professional project studios
- Compatible with ProTools, Logic, Cubase/Nuendo and all major DAW applications
- Switch between 3 connected DAW's with a single button press
- Two banks of 8 channel controls plus centre section controls
- Touch sensitive 100mm motorised faders
- Digital Scribble Strips with assignable V-Pots and soft keys
- Completely user customisable DAW & Key Command mapping
- Remote Logictivity Browser for effortless configuration
- SD card for non volatile project storage
- Large heavy duty transport buttons and high quality jog/shuttle wheel
- Excellent visual feedback via self illuminating buttons, LED's and DAW Level Metering
- A unique audio nerve centre for your project studio
- Benchmark SuperAnalogueTM quality output to 2 stereo sets of +4dBu monitor outputs
- High quality Dante audio interface (44.1kHz – 96kHz, 24 Bit) over ethernet
- Two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs to audio interface and monitor outputs
- Digital S/PDIF I/O to the AD/DA of the audio interface
- Zero latency Rec monitoring with wet/dry control to balance input and DAW playback
- SSL SuperAnalogueTM Mic Pre's, identical to those used on SSL Duality and AWS consoles
- Mic inputs have 80Hz High Pass Filters, Phase Reverse and Phantom Power
- Insert send/return connections switched between inputs and DAW playback for mixdown
- Additional "external" SuperAnalogueTM input monitor path for another audio interface
- Talkback input path with switchable -20dB monitor DIM and adjustable gain. Can be switched to feed input 2 of the Dante soundcard for remote comms over the network
- Two headphone outputs and one iJack monitor input
- Standard 1/4" Jack footswitch connection
- Three USB sockets for use as a 3 port USB hub
- Dual Ethernet ports for incorporating additional Dante devices into your studio