Eric Johnson is a virtuoso in every sense of the word. Re-popularising instrumental guitar music in the mid-'80s alongside his contemporaries Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani, Johnson's unique approach to melody and harmony set him apart from the rest. Building a large and highly-acclaimed discography, Johnson has deservingly reached legendary status.
1954 "Virginia" Stratocaster
The Texas-born guitarist has always been synonymous with Fender Stratocasters, and his original 1954 "Virginia" Stratocaster is arguably his most recognised instrument. Used extensively on the recordings of his first two groundbreaking albums, 'Tones" and the platinum-selling "Ah Via Musicom", Fender has lovingly recreated this iconic guitar as part of their new 'Stories Collection', which pays tribute to influential musicians and their beloved modified Fender electric guitars.
Unique Construction & Electronics
With its rare quartersawn Sassafras body, period-correct nitrocellulose finish, custom wiring and more, the Eric Johnson 1954 "Virginia" Stratocaster will thrill players and collectors alike with its distinctive look and exceptional tone.
Equipped with a pair of '57/'62 single-coil pickups in the neck and middle positions, these are precisely-wired to recapture Johnson's spellbinding sounds. The addition of a DiMarzio HS-2 bridge pickup was a famous modification that Johnson made to his original '54 Strat, with only the top-coil active to produce a distinctive sound. Fender has replicated this unique mod with its Stories Collection replica.
- Body: 2-Piece Offset Seam Sassafras
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Quartersawn Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: Soft "V"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Frets Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Plastic
- Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rods: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio HS-2 (Only Top-Coil Active)
- Middle Pickup: Original '57/'62 Single-Coil Strat
- Neck Pickup: Original '57/'62 Single-Coil Strat
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck/Middle Pickups), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck
- Pickup Configuration: SSS
- Bridge: 6-Saddle American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Eggshell
- Control Knobs: Aged White Plastic
- Strings: Fender USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)