Richie Kotzen is a highly-respected musician, known for his soulful vocal-style and impeccable guitar chops. Making his name during stints with stadium-stalwarts Poison and Mr. Big, Kotzen currently fronts rock supergroup The Winery Dogs and almost exclusively wields his signature Fender Telecaster onstage.
Originally available in Japan only, the Richie Kotzen Telecaster has since become one of Fender's most popular artist models worldwide. Hot-rodded with a number of special features, including a powerful DiMarzio pickup pairing, stunning Flamed Maple top and ergonomic body contours - this is a Tele on steroids!
Unique Body Construction
The Richie Kotzen Signature Telecaster is constructed from a mix of Fender's favoured tonewoods, but with a few tweaks. An Ash body serves as a balanced tonal foundation for the high-output pickups, which is adorned with a gorgeous Flamed Maple top that gives this instrument some real aesthetic appeal.
Unlike most Teles which typically have a slab body, the Fender Richie Kotzen Signature Telecaster has a couple of contours that improve its comfort for enhanced playability. A smooth body top contour follows the shape of your forearm for an improved picking position, while a rear belly cut allows the instrument to rest more closely to your body.
Large "C" Neck
Another idiosyncratic feature of the Fender Richie Kotzen Tele is its large “C”-shaped neck profile. This fat neck carve offers an incredibly supportive feel, that still allows for fast playability with its slick satin finish. The fingerboard specs are far more modern, with a relatively flat 12” radius, 22 jumbo frets and tasteful pearloid dot inlays.
A distinctive combination of DiMarzio Twang King (neck) and Chopper T (bridge) single-coils give this instrument its remarkably potent voice. Able to project that classic Tele spank, these particular pickups offer more output than traditional Telecaster single-coils and have a much fuller sound - making them apt for use with overdrive and distortion. A series/parallel rotary switch expands this guitar's wide tonal palette even further.
- Body: Ash with Flame Maple Laminated Top
- Body Finish: Gloss Urethane
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
- Neck Shape: Large "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Frets Size: Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Abalone Dot
- Truss Rods: Standard
- Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio The Chopper T DP384
- Neck Pickup: Dimarzio Twang King DP172G
- Controls: Master Volume, Series/Parallel Rotary Switch
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Bridge: 6-Saddle String-Through-Body Tele with Block Steel Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Gold
- Tuning Machines: Gotoh Cast/Sealed
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Cream
- Control Knobs: Knurled Dome Gold
- Strings: Fender USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Unique Features: Bound body top, rear belly cut, top body contour, Richie Kotzen signature on front of headstock