Sadly we are unable to ship this product outside of Europe at this time. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions you can contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our Help Centre.
Jaco Pastorius is one of those bass players that left his mark on the bass world and his jazz bass was almost as iconic as the man himself!
Fender have released the Jaco Jazz bass to replicate the sort of instrument that he would have played with some very specific requirements.
Pau Ferro Fretboard
A Pau Ferro fretboard is quite a rare sight on guitars and basses, but it provides a brightness to the tone that is essential to getting a clear sound from a fretless. Because you don't have actual frets giving you note definition, you need the fretboard wood that is coming into direct contact with your fingers and the strings, to be quite snappy sounding. Pau Ferro is very similar to Ebony in sound, as they are both very dense woods, that reflect sound really well for optimum clarity,
This Jaco bass has got white fretboard dots and fret markers so you can easily see the notes you want to hit. It makes those gigs on dark stages that much easier when you can actually see the target note.
The bass is finished with Nitro-Cellulose to allow the wood to really breathe and resonate because nitro is nowhere near as thick as a normal polyester finish. So you won't have a thick poly lacquer stifling the vibrations of the instrument.
Here's What Fender Say About The Jaco Fretless Bass
Jaco Pastorius redefined the voice of the bass and the role of the bassist for generations of players, merging the worlds of R&B, rock, jazz, classical and Caribbean music and reshaping the musical landscape with his visionary approach to the instrument. And he did it all with a Fender Jazz Bass guitar. Pastorius' unmistakable voice and signature sound came from his mind, his hand and his sunburst fretless Jazz Bass, recreated here as the Fender Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass guitar. Features include an alder body, C-shaped maple neck with side dots centered on the fret lines, pau ferro fingerboard, vintage-style single-coil Jazz Bass pickups, vintage-style reverse tuners, knurled chrome Precision Bass knobs and commemorative Pastorius neck plate. Deluxe brown hard-shell case, strap and cable included.
- Model Name: Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass, Fretless, Pau Ferro Fingerboard, 3-Color Sunburst
- Model Number: 0196208800
- Series: Artist
- Color: 3-Color Sunburst
- Body Shape: Jazz Bass
- Body Material: Select Alder
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Shape: "C" Shape
- Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: Fretless
- Fret Size: Fretless
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Custom
- Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Urethane-Coated, Slab Cut Pau Ferro
- Position Inlays: Side Dot
- Bridge Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil Jazz Bass
- Neck Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil Jazz Bass
- Controls: Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: None
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Bridge: 4-Saddle American Vintage Bass
- Tuning Machines: American Vintage Reverse Open-Gear Bass
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Tortoiseshell
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Strings: Fender USA Bass 9050M Stainless Steel Flatwound, (.055, .070, .090 .105 Gauges)
- Unique Features: Knurled Chrome P Bass; Knobs, Special Jaco Tribute Neck Plate, Side Dot Position Markers are Centered Between the Fretlines
- Included Accessories: Deluxe Brown Hardshell Case, Strap, Cable