Here's what Tascam say about the DR40-X
Professional Deal for live capture: line level input
Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. These inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from Mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones, as well as electret type microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording direct from an external console, which is ideal for capturing live performances.
Wide covering range
DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X-Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A-B pattern for a more ambient recording.
The layout of the DR-40X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away.
Turning your room into a studio – in a minute.
Connecting to a PC using USB Audio interface mode, and DR-40X becomes a tool for voiceover work, live streaming and songwriting with studio-quality audio.
Built-in microphones work as USB microphones.
Back up your transcription work: record and play with one unit
Writing down what you hear – Easier said than done, but it is actually easy with DR-40X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, DR-40X can help you with its Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
Four-track recording mode gives you several options to record
In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, DR-40X has “4CH Mode” that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
Safety track for unpredictable situation
Film-makers and videographers often experience sudden audio volume spikes during filming. An actor could suddenly scream, or a documentary subject could do almost anything.
DR-40X has a Dual Recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion. Also, Auto recording function can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording. The Pre-recording function with up to 2 seconds pre-record provides fail-safe protection.
- High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in A-B and X-Y positions
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V
- 4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
- Long-time operation of maximum 18 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect
- Auto recording function
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM and MP3
- SD/ SDHC/ SDXC (up to 128GB) can be used for recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit