N.B: This is the 16 Ohm version - i.e. this power soak "looks like" an 16 Ohm Speaker Cab to your amp, but instead of channeling the full sound through your speaker cabinet, some of the power is soaked up by the PDI06 after the power amp stage to provide tube distortion at lower volumes.
Imagine all the awesome, saturated, tube distortion of your favourite big tube amp, but at levels that you can play without angering your neighbors. The Palmer PDI-06 soaks up some of the power of your tube amp, but only after it has been through the entire amp circuit. Sitting between amp and speaker, this attenuator takes down the volume of an amplifier without removing the power tube distortion that many guitarists crave.
Here's what Palmer say about the PDI-06
The PDI06 is a power attenuator for live applications. The device is connected between the amplifier output and the speaker cabinet. It makes it possible to use the popular power stage distortion of tube amplifiers while reducing the associated high volume level. This permits practical volume reduction in six increments from 100% to 18% for stage and practice room situations. An additional level makes the speaker completely mute; the PDI06 then functions as a LOAD BOX and absorbs the entire output power of the amplifier.
This mode of operation is useful, for example, when connecting an amplifier equipped with a speaker cabinet emulation directly to the mixing desk using an existing line-out and loud volume levels in the recording booth are undesirable. The unit has an input for the speaker signal from the amplifier and two outputs for connecting speaker cabinets.
- Maximum input power: 120 watts
- 6-position switch, 5 increments (3 dB each) for volume reduction, equivalent to attenuation of the input power to 70%, 50%, 35%, 25%, 18%.
- The LOAD BOX position mutes the connected speaker cabinet.
- The BYPASS/ATTENUATOR switch lets the user toggle quickly between full and reduced output.
- Input from amplifier: 1 x 6.3 mm jack socket
- Output for speaker cabinets: 2 x 6.3 mm jack sockets connected in parallel
- Output impedance: 16 ohms