For Ableton Live Lite users wishing to upgrade to Ableton Live 10 Suite
Live is fast, fluid music creation and performance software. Use its timeline-based workflow or improvise without constraints in Session View. Advanced Warping lets you change the tempo and timing of any audio in real-time without stopping the music. Record virtual instruments, drum machines, guitars or audio from the real world. Capture MIDI notes after you’ve played them, turning your most spontaneous ideas (and happy accidents) into music.
Live’s effects, instruments, sounds and creative features let you make music, limited only by your imagination. Use Live’s native devices as the foundation of sound design or mold and shape something new from a range of carefully curated Packs. Since the software keeps everything in time, Live is also perfect for on-stage improvisation and hands-on play. Customize the software to fit your performance, not the other way around. With Push, Ableton’s instrument built specifically for Live, you get all the functionality of software with the immediacy of hardware.
Ableton Live 10.1 Update
In May 2019, Ableton released the 10.1 update, offering a number of slick new features and UX improvements. Check it out:
- User wavetables: Extend the capabilities of Wavetable’s oscillator section by importing your own wavetables or samples from your library into the device.
- Channel EQ: A flexible and simple EQ with curves and gain ranges suitable for a variety of audio material. The shape of the filters adapts based on how controls are set to always provide musical results.
- Delay: Combines Simple Delay and Ping Pong Delay and adds feature upgrades. Ping pong behavior, as well as Jump, Fade-In and Pitch controls from those devices are all accessed from the front panel.
- New automation features: Choose from a new palette of automation shapes, stretch and skew automation and enter precise values with your numerical keyboard. Get easier access to clip modulation in Session View. Live now also simplifies complex automation into C- and S-shapes for easier editing.
- Improvements to zooming and scrolling: Live 10.1 makes switching between detailed views and big-picture editing faster with streamlined keyboard shortcuts, pinch zooming on compatible computers, a resizable Arrangement Overview window, and more.
- Freeze tracks that contain sidechain routing.
- Export single tracks and groups with return and master effects applied.
- Use your VST3 plug-ins in Live.
- Now you can control your modular and CV-based gear with CV Tools – a new Pack of 10 devices included in Ableton Live 10 Suite.
- CV Tools allows you to send and modulate control voltage between your modular setup and Ableton Live using a compatible dc-coupled audio interface.
- The included Rotating Rhythm Generator and CV Utility devices also give you modular-style workflows inside Live or with a hardware setup that doesn’t use CV-based equipment.
Create with Live
No matter how you like to begin, Live helps you get the music in your head out of your speakers.
Session View lets you sketch ideas lightning fast – play, mix, and match MIDI and audio loops of different lengths and tempos without ever stopping the music. The Arrangement View is where you organize your music along a timeline and build sections of your song. Record an arrangement directly from the Session View and improvise a finished composition.
Live’s synthesizers deliver a vast range of sound using wavetable, FM, analog and physical modeling architectures. A pair of sampling devices help you squeeze the most out of your drum samples and multi-sampled instruments with built-in slicing, warping and more. Included MIDI effects let you creatively manipulate your notes, while audio effects help you clean up your mix or make a creative mess.
Live’s Core Library comes with every edition of the software and includes vintage synths, analog drum machines, keys, multi-sampled drums, and much more. “Curated Collections” are toolkits of curated sounds designed to be shaped into something new.
Software without limits
Live comes with everything you need but adapts to your unique needs. Map knobs, faders and buttons to nearly any controller to get hands on control of almost every parameter in Live. The software also includes auto-mappings for a growing number of MIDI controllers for instant results.
Max for Live is a software platform that powers a range of Live’s instruments and effects. Load one of its many built-in sound generators, audio and MIDI effects to expand your sound, or use it to customize devices, build your own and even hack how Live works. You can even use it to connect Live to lights, cameras, sensors, surround sound setups and more.
Perform with Live
Trigger, re-sequence and remix your music in real time. Control external hardware and integrate outboard effects. Improvise on your own or process audio played by others.
Expand your setup and collaborate with others using Link. The technology syncs timing over a network connection, so software like Reason, Serato and an ever-growing number of iOS apps work together in your Live setup.
Live 10 Suite key features
- Multitrack Audio recording and MIDI sequencing of software and hardware instruments
- Unique Session View for nonlinear composition, flexible performance and improvisation
- Real-time warping of audio: automatically sync music and loops, regardless of tempo
- MIDI-mappable controls for hands-on creation onstage or in the studio – plus automatic mapping for popular hardware controllers
- Audio to MIDI conversion tools: extract harmony, melody or drums from an audio sample and convert it into MIDI.
- Comprehensive selection of built-in audio effects for creative sound design, mixing or mastering
- Advanced sampling and slicing tools
- VST and Audio Unit support
- Groove engine to apply swing to audio or MIDI, or extract rhythmic ‘feel’ from other audio files
- Video import and export for scoring to video or warping video to music
- Built-in Max for Live software with more instruments, audio and MIDI effects, and the ability to customize Live
Instruments, effects and sounds:
- 10 instruments: Wavetable, Operator, Sampler, Analog, Electric, Tension, Collision, Simpler, Drum Rack, Impulse – plus Instrument Racks and the External Instrument device
- 57 audio and MIDI effects, including Drum Buss, Echo and Pedal
- 5000+ sounds
- 70+GB of loops and samples
Technical feature spec / compatibility:
- Nondestructive editing with unlimited undo
- Multitrack recording up to 32-bit/192 kHz
- Automatic plug-in delay compensation
- Ableton Link integration
- MIDI remote control instant mapping
- MIDI output to hardware synths
- MIDI Clock/sync
- ReWire support
- Multicore/multiprocessor support
- WAV, AIFF, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC file support
- Unlimited Audio and MIDI tracks
- Unlimited Scenes
- 12 Send and return tracks
- 256 Audio inputs, 256 outputs
- Rex file support
- POW-r dithering
- Groove Pool and extract groove