Launched at the 2017 NAMM Show, the new Sontronics MERCURY is a premium quality valve/tube condenser microphone designed to sound stunning on whatever you're recording, from solo instruments, percussion and vocals to ensemble and orchestral work, overhead and room miking, voiceover and more.
Designed by Sontronics’ founder and designer Trevor Coley, and developed alongside UK artists and producers as well as the engineers at Abbey Road Studios, the MERCURY is hand-built in our Sontronics UK-based HQ.
Taking things up a step even further than Sontronics’ multi-award-winning ARIA, the MERCURY employs the highest grade components (most of which have less than 1% tolerance, unheard of for a microphone at this price) and a hand-selected and tested European-made ECC81/12AT7 vacuum tube, all of which result in absolutely impeccable results, whatever application you're using it for.
The MERCURY gives you an infinite choice of polar patterns from omnidirectional to figure-of-eight and everything in between via the sweepable control knob on the front of the power supply.
The mic also boasts pad (0, -10dB) and low-cut filter (linear, 75Hz) controls, a professional power supply with medical-grade interference filter and boasts incredibly low self-noise for a valve microphone (less than 12dB A-weighted), making this a must-have mic for any studio serious about achieving the best quality results.
Like all Sontronics microphones, MERCURY is covered by their unique Lifetime Warranty which you simply activate by emailing Sontronics with details of your purchase.
“MERCURY has been almost three years in the making.” says Sontronics’ designer and founder Trevor Coley, “and represents the pinnacle of quality components and British engineering, combined with our passion for making versatile, beautifully made microphones that don’t cost the earth.
"We are received amazing feedback from top artists who loved working with the prototype so much that they’ve already bought the real thing, and it’s being compared to vintage valve microphones that cost up to ten times the price. Every studio should have one!”
“"The MERCURY mic is by far the most outstanding microphone I have come across in my career! It boasts phenomenally low self noise and a fantastic range of polar patterns and it sounds amazing on my didgeridoo, Native American flutes and percussion."
ADAM RIVIERE, Multi-instrumentalist/Composer/Producer
- variable-pattern condenser microphone
- hand-built in the UK with the highest quality components
- designed to sound stunning, whatever you’re recording
- beta-tested with top producers and the Abbey Road engineers
- covered by Lifetime Warranty
- Polar patterns: fully sweepable from omni to figure-of-eight and everything in between
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Sensitivity: 18mV/Pa -33dB ±1.5dB (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1,000Hz)
- Pad: 0, -10dB
- Filter: Linear, 75Hz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Equivalent noise level: <12dB (A-weighted)
- Max SPL (for 0.5% THD @ 1kHz): 125dB
- Power supply: 115/230V
- Phantom power: Not required
- Connector: 8-pin connector (mic), 3-pin XLR-M (power supply)
- Comes with: wooden box (for Mercury mic), shockmount, spare shockmount elastics, cables, power supply, aluminium flightcase