Neumann TLM102 Studio Condenser Mic in Black finish
The Neumann TLM series represents Neumann quality at a price that doesn't scream words like "remortgage" and "divorce". The TLM 102 is a small profile condenser with multiple applications. Using a recently developed large diaphragm capsule, you'll be spoiled with crystal clear, smooth response and rugged build quality - all signs of a great mic using all the knowledge and expertise of the world's best known mic manufacturer, combined with modern technology and build quality.
The mic is physically unobtrusive making it great for live applications including vocals where you don't want to obscure the speaker. It has a cardioid polar pattern, and can handle up to 144dB SPL making it suitable for loud guitar cabs and percussion. In this day and age, you can proudly sport the Neumann badge without breaking the bank. How far we've come!
- "Spoken-word tests reveal a lot about studio microphones, and the TLM102 immediately sounded well-balanced in this application with no EQ."
- "I'd certainly be happy to make this my go-to vocal mic - unless I specifically needed something with a more overt character to suit a particular voice."
- "For those project studio owners who want just a single decent mic that can tackle a variety of sources as well as vocals, this should prove a very practical choice."
Here's what Neumann say about the TLM-102
The reduced overall size contributes to an exceptionally compact appearance, which unites all of the typical design components of a Neumann microphone. The harmonious proportions and gleaming grille ring ensure that even at first glance, the TLM 102 attracts attention.
The TLM 102 is impressive in terms of sound: In the interior is a newly developed large-diaphragm capsule (cardioid) with a maximum sound pressure level of 144 dB, which permits the recording of percussion, drums, amps and other very loud sound sources, for example. Instruments that are not especially loud also benefit from the very fast transient response of the TLM 102. However its most important applications are in the realm of vocals and speech; a slight boost above 6 kHz provides for excellent presence of the voice in the overall mix. Up to 6 kHz the frequency response is extremely linear, ensuring minimal coloration and a clearly defined bass range. The capsule has an elastic suspension for the suppression of structure-borne noise. A pop screen integrated into the grille serves to suppress plosives in vocal and speech recording.
Due to its price and flexible field of application, the TLM 102 is ideal for the home recording and project studio sector, as well as for the broadcasting area, especially when clear lines of sight to the speakers are a priority.
The TLM 102 is available in black and nickel a stand mount is included.
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 11 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR: 21 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted: 12 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR (rel. 94 dB SPL): 73 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted (rel. 94 dB SPL): 82 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 144 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 13 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V +/- 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3.5 mA
- Matching connector: XLR3F
- Weight approx: 260 g
- Diameter: 52 mm
- Length: 116 mm