The Zoom R8 takes the idea of a Portastudio to a new level of compact portability! The R8 is not only a multitrack recorder (two simultaneous tracks and eight in total); but it also acts as a sampler with built in stereo mic, an audio interface when recording to a PC or Mac, and a control surface when mixing on a DAW.
The R8 is ideal for a musician who is in a creative mood more often than not. Whenever inspiration strikes, you can take the R8 out of your gig bag/day bag and record your ideas. Whether just humming a tune, or recording a full blown multitrack! Now that all your work is on the R8, take it home, plug it into a PC or Mac and either finish your recording, or start mixing in your favourite DAW, thanks to the R8's DAW control surface mode!
If you just can't wait to show off your track, why not create a mix of it on the R8? With built in effects and plugins, and on-board hardware faders, the R8's mixing interface is intuitive and fast!
In short, the Zoom R8 means you can create wherever, and whenever, without limitations. Great for home studio users, musicians on the go and those who flit between the studio, rehearsals and the stage. With a Zoom R8 in your gig bag, none of your musical ideas will ever be forgotten again!
Here's what Zoom say about the Zoom R8 Recorder and Sampler
Zoom takes the turbocharged design of the R24 and scales it down for an ultra-portable music production solution. Like its predecessor, the R8 combines four production tools in one versatile device. In addition to being an 8-track recorder that utilizes SD memory, the R8 is an audio interface, a DAW control surface and a sampler complete with drum pads and a rhythm machine.
Simultaneous recording of 2 tracks and playback of 8 tracks
The R8 is the perfect tool for capturing audio on-the-go. Record live music performances, rehearsals, songwriting sessions or even audio for film and video. Playback up to eight tracks of audio at up to 24-bit/48kHz resolution as WAV files. If you make a mistake, use the UNDO/REDO function to cancel the last recording operation and restore the previous state. You can even mix down completed songs inside the R8 and save a mix for each project.
Audio interface supports 2 inputs and 2 outputs
When combined with your computer, the R8 becomes a powerful audio interface. Connect the R8 to your computer via USB, launch your favorite DAW or use the included Cubase LE software and start laying down your tracks. Simultaneous 2-in/2-out capability allows you to record up to 24-bit/96kHz high definition audio. If you use the 44.1kHz sampling rate, the internal DSP effects of the R8 are also available for your computer tracks. A dedicated control lets you adjust the mixing balance between the DAW playback sound and the direct sound for monitoring.
Control surface functions for most DAW software
The R8 can be used as a control surface for DAW transport functions (play, record, stop) and mixing operations. Through a USB connection, you can control the transport and mixing functions of major DAWs such as Cubase, Logic, and Sonar from the R8. In addition, you can easily move multiple faders at the same time. No more mixing with a mouse! The R8 makes mixing a pleasure.
8-voice sampler with 8 pads
The built-in sampler functions allow you to loop audio data on any track. You can play the pads in real-time and combine loops to create a performance for an entire song. When setting loop intervals, you can see the waveforms for visual confirmation. Time-stretching, which allows you to change the tempo without changing the pitch, and trimming the unneeded parts of loops, is also possible. You can use the sampler and recorder functions together seamlessly to play back loop tracks while recording instrumental performances on other tracks.
Create your own beats with the powerful rhythm machine
The R8's rhythm machine includes 10 types of drum kits that use linear PCM audio samples. Use the touch-sensitive drum pads to program up to 511 of your own beats, and use the rhythm patterns that you create just like audio loops. Use the R8's pads to start playback of patterns and use the R8's sequencer to arrange them into songs. You can start fast with the 472 preset patterns, which include intros, fills, endings and other phrase variations.
Built-in stereo microphones
The built-in high-sensitivity stereo microphones are convenient for recording sketches of musical phrases and melodies as they come to mind. Use these mics for clear recordings of vocals and acoustic instruments.
Over 140 DSP effects, including guitar amp modeling
The DSP effects, which include 146 types and 370 patches, can be used for recording, mixing and mastering. Insert effects are comprised of seven modules and include algorithms for guitars, basses, vocals and other sounds. One insert effect can be used simultaneously with the two types of send-return effects. 18 types of guitar amplifier models from our best-selling G2Nu and 6 types of bass amp models are included, so you can re-create a realistic amp sound simply by connecting a guitar or bass directly to the R8.
Supports SDHC cards with capacities of up to 32GB
The R8 uses compact and readily-available SD and SDHC memory cards as recording media. Unlike tape and disk recorders, this unit has no motor, making it more resistant to physical interference and concerns about mechanical noise.
Locate functions make editing easier
Set up to 100 markers and directly move to them whenever you want. Also, use the A-B repeat function to play or re-record a designated interval and use auto punch-in and punch-out for efficient editing.
Rapid file transfer with Hi-Speed USB 2.0
The R8's Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port allows WAV-format audio files recorded on the R8 to be sent to a computer smoothly and rapidly. Use the R8 with a computer for additional music production, including editing with DAW software, creating original CDs and importing WAV files.
Versatile inputs for guitars, mics and line sources
The two balanced XLR-1/4-inch combination inputs can provide phantom power, so you can use studio-class condenser microphones to make professional-level recordings. One channel also includes a Hi-Z switch, allowing guitars, basses and other high-impedance instruments to be recorded.
Tuner and metronome functions
The R8's built-in tuner is great for quickly tuning instruments and checking vocal pitch. The metronome can provide a click track for a drummer during recording and is also useful in practice settings. The metronome can also be sent to just the headphones. This allows you to play along to backing tracks previously recorded on the R8.
Powered by an AC adapter, batteries or USB bus power
Power options provide flexibility for different situations. Power the R8 on its own in one of two ways-with the included AC adapter or four alkaline AA batteries. The R8 operates for over 5 hours on batteries, plenty of time for most field recordings. When using the audio interface or control surface functions, the R8 can be powered by the computer's USB bus.
Easy hands-free operation
Using a ZOOM FS01 footswitch (sold separately), you can control the recorder transport (play, stop, rewind), punch-in for recording and change effect patches with your foot. With the R8, you can easily record without ever taking your hands off your guitar.
Steinberg Cubase LE DAW software included
Cubase LE is a powerful music production software for recording, editing and mixing both audio and MIDI tracks. Cubase LE uses an audio engine that is equivalent to software that have received numerous awards and is an ideal introduction to computer-based music production.
R8 Audio Interface System Requirements
- Windows XP SP3 or later - Vista SP1 or later
- Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz or better
- RAM:1GB or more
- USB2.0 compatible port
- OS X 10.5.8/10.6.5 or later
- Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz or better
- RAM - 1GB or more
- USB2.0 compatible port
* USB hub is not supported.
* Intel Chipset is recommended.
- AC Adapter(AD-17)
- USB Cable
- Physical Tracks: 8
- Simultaneous Recording Tracks: 2
- Simultaneous Playback Tracks: 8
- Recording Data Format: 44.1/48kHz, 16/24bit WAV
- Maximum Recordable Time: 200 minutes / GB (44.1kHz 16-bit, mono tracks)
- Projects: 1,000
- Markers: 100 / Project
- Locator: Hours / Min. / Sec. / msec or Bars / Beats / Ticks
- File Editing: Divide, Trim
- Other Functions: Punch-In / Out (Manual, Automatic), Bounce, Marker, A-B Repeat, Undo / Redo, Metronome
- Input Channels: 2
- Output Channels: 2
- Quantization: 24bit
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz
- Faders: 9
- Level Meters: 19-step LCD, Post-fader
- Track Parameters: 3-band Equalizer, Pan (Balance), Effect Send x 2, Invert
- Stereo Links Track pairs: 1/2 to 7/8 selectable
- Algorithms: 8 (CLEAN, DISTORTION, ACO/BASS SIM, BASS, MIC, DUAL MIC, STEREO, MASTERING)
- Types: 146
- Modules: 7 for Insert, 2 for Send / Return
- Patches: 310 for Insert, 60 for Send / Return
- Tuner: Chromatic, Guitar, Bass, Open A/D/E/G, D modal
- Playback Data Format: 44.1/48kHz, 16/24bit WAV
- Voices: 8
- Editing Functions: Trim, Time-stretch
- Voices: 8
- Sound Format: 16-bit Linear PCM
- Drum Kits: 10
- Pads: 8 (velocity-sensitive)
- Precision: 48PPQN
- Rhythm Patterns: 511/project
- Patterns: 511 (472 factory, 39 blank) / Project
- Beat: 1/4-8/4
- Tempo: 40.0 - 250.0BPM
- Recording Media: SD Card (16MB-2GB), SDHC Card (4-32GB)
- A/D Conversion: 96kHz 24bit delta-sigma ADC
- D/A Conversion: 96kHz 24bit delta-sigma DAC
- Display: 128 x 64 pixel LCD (with backlight)
- Inputs: 2 x XLR-1/4" Phone Combo Jack / Input Impedance: (Balanced input) 1kohm balanced, 2nd hot, (Unbalanced input) 50kohm unbalanced, (Hi-Z Input) 470kohm / Input Level: -50dBm to +4dBm continuously variable
- Built-in microphones: Omnidirectional condenser microphones / Gain: -50dBm to +4dBm continuously variable
- Phantom Power Supply: 48V, 24V
- Master Output: 1/4"TRS Phone (balanced) / Output Impedance: 1kohm / Rated Output Level: +4dBm
- Headphones Output: 1/4" Stereo Phone Jack, 20mW x 2 (at 32ohm load)
- USB: Mini-B type (USB2.0 High-Speed compatible)] Audio Interface / Control Surface or Mass Storage Class operation
- Power Requirements: AC adapter (DC5V/1A/center positive) or AA size (LR6) battery x 4
- Battery Life: 5.5 hours (with backlight on and phantom power off)
- Dimensions: 257(W) x 190(D) x 51(H) mm
- Weight: 780g (without batteries)