The Zoom R16 is an incredibly versatile tool for studio and field work as it doubles as a portable digital recorder and USB audio interface for your PC or Mac.
With 8 XLR/Jack inputs the R16 has the power to record and entire band at once or you can layer in each individual instrument in more detail with up to 16 tracks available to you at any given time with 8 track simultaneous recording. You can record onto an SD Card that you slot directly in to the R16 which can then be powered by battery or by a separate power supply so you can use this on location whether there is power available or not. Your other option for recording is to plug the R16 into any PC or Mac via USB and record directly into your DAW with the 8 high quality preamps for 8 track simultaneous recording.
The Zoom R16 also provides some great tools just for practicing at home such as an inbuilt set of stereo condensor microphones so you can record your ideas quickly and easily as well as on board effects and guitar amp simulation so you can plug your guitar directly in to the R16 and record instantly.
Guitarist Magazine awarded the R16 their Guitarist Choice Award. Here's what they had to say...
"The R16's real strength is in a recording role... If the R16 did only that it would be worth the asking price, but the additional audio interface and software controller make it an absolute bargain"
"The fact is that the R16 is one extremely versatile piece of kit that can be used in a variety of scenarios."
"There's a flexibility of working here that's simply not available in any other single piece of gear in this price range"
Trevor Curwen, Guitarist Magazine, September 2009
- The world's first digital recorder with 16-track playback and 8-track simultaneous recording that utilizes Secure Digital (SD) memory.
- High-definition 24-bit/48kHz linear PCM recording in WAV format
- Built-in stereo condenser microphones
- Supports cards up to 32GB SDHC card which allows 108 hours 12minutes recording with 16bit/ 44.1kHz linear PCM format
- Allows simultaneous recording on up to 8 tracks to capture a live band or complete drum-kit
- Battery operation for remote recording
- USB power for studio operation
- 8 Mic inputs/ 2 Outputs (8 x 2)
- 8 balanced combination XLR 1/4" inputs
- High-definition 24-bit/ 96kHz recording capability using digital audio software
- Built-in effects on R16 can be used as outboard effects as well.
- 1 Hi-Z input for direct connection of guitar or bass
- 48V phantom power on 2 channels.
- Over 100 built-in effects coming from advanced DSP
- Amazing guitar amp and effect models of the most guitar and bass amplifiers
- Professional quality mastering effects, multi-band compressor, normalizer and more
- USB host function allows to use USB storage device for quick data transfer
- Connect 2x R16s via USB for synchronized operation and 16 tracks of simultaneous recording capability.
- Undo/ redo functions
- Supports Windows XP/ Vista, Macintosh operating systems