Since it's launch the Apollo 8 has become one of the world's most popular professional interfaces; delivering the tone feel and flow of analogue recording but with all the benefits that a digital system can bring. In it's latest update the Apollo 8 makes the best even better with Windows compatibility and a thunderbolt interface with upgraded components and new features.
The Apollo 8 is an 18 x 24 Thunderbolt interface that has been designed to work seamlessly with both Windows and Apple Mac computers. It combines a genuine UA analog design with next-generation A/D and D/A conversion, ultra high performance processing and thunderbolt connectivity to create a class leading interface in a sleek package.
There are 2 options to choose from when buying an Apollo 8; Do you want Duo or Quad. These two options refer to the on-board UAD-2 high performance processing, the thinking component in the Apollo. Both UAD-2 Duo Core and Quad core processors will be able to deliver Realtime DSP processing and Unison technology with near-zero latency. That means that you can record through multiple plug-ins without timing issues plaguing your performance. The question becomes how far do you think you'll test the system? If you're a pro user that is going to need to run lots of plug-ins through multiple channels, you might want to push to quad core. If not, the Apollo 8 Duo will do the job nicely!
Please note: you can now connect via Thunderbolt 3 with the UAD Thunderbolt 3 Option Card!
Here's what UAD say about the Apollo 8 Quad:
Apollo 8 is the world’s most acclaimed professional recording interface for Mac and Windows, giving project and commercial studios superior A/D and D/A conversion with the tone, feel, and realtime workflow of classic analog recording.
Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, Apollo 8 QUAD distinguishes itself with four Unison™-enabled mic preamps, UAD-2 QUAD Core processing, and an included bundle of award-winning UAD plug-ins — which you can track through with near-zero latency, shaping sounds like a classic analog studio — without taxing your host Mac or PC.
- Record with world-class Apollo A/D and D/A conversion — as heard on hundreds of hit records
- Track with near-zero latency through preamp emulations from Neve®, API®, Manley® and more using Unison™ technology†
- Mix with UAD plug-ins like the included Teletronix® LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild® compressors, Pultec® EQs, and 610-B Preamp
- Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD-2 devices over Thunderbolt,* adding DSP and I/O as your studio grows
Unison™ Technology: The Genuine Sound of Neve®, API® & Manley® Preamps
Apollo 8 features four Unison-enabled mic preamps, letting you track through exacting mic preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, and Universal Audio. An Apollo exclusive, Unison technology nails the tone of these sought-after tube and solid state mic pres — including their input impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and the component-level circuit behaviors of the original hardware.
The secret to Unison is its hardware-software integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP Acceleration. Simply place a Unison preamp plug-in on your mic input, and tap into the classic sounds of the world’s most recorded mic preamps.
A Full Suite of Classic Analog Processing Onboard
Right out of the box, Apollo 8 provides a suite of incredible analog emulation plug-ins including the world’s only authentic Teletronix® LA-2A, 1176LN, and Fairchild® compressors, the legendary Pultec® EQs, and the Unison-enabled UA 610-B Tube Preamp. Developed by UA’s world-renowned team of algorithm engineers, these Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins set the standard by which all other hardware emulation plug-ins are judged.
From the tube warmth of the Pultec EQ on guitars, to the gentle limiting of the LA-2A on vocals, or the pump of a genuine Fairchild 670 compressor on drums, your recordings will take a giant leap forward in rich, sonically complex analog sound.
Access the World of UAD Powered Plug-Ins
Beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins, you can tap into the full library award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins — including vintage EQs, Compressors, Reverbs, Tape Machines and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU.
With exclusive emulations from Neve, Studer, Manley, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more,† it’s like having an endless analog studio, in a single rack space. And unlike competing interfaces, these DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
“UAD plug-ins are amazing… I’ve used them on all my projects for the last few years.”
- Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys)
Next-Generation A/D and D/A Conversion
Of course, the heart of any audio interface is the quality of its conversion. In designing the next-generation Apollo range, UA engineers started with an obsessive auditioning of the latest A/D and D/A converters, ultimately pairing the selected 24-bit/192kHz converters with all-new analog circuitry for the optimal signal path. Apollo 8 provides increased dynamic range and lower THD versus other interfaces — rivaling dedicated converters costing thousands more.
Apollo: The Choice of New-School Professionals
Apollo 8 is the interface of choice for hit-making professionals, as used to record breakthrough albums by Kendrick Lamar (To Pimp A Butterfly), Coldplay (A Head Full of Dreams), Dr. Dre (Compton), Brad Paisley (Wheelhouse), and many more.
Build a Networked Studio System Over Thunderbolt
Apollo 8 offers 18 x 24 simultaneous inputs/outputs, with two built-in Thunderbolt ports. Thanks to Apollo Expanded software, users of any Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin, Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, and Apollo 16 audio interfaces can combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices* — adding I/O and DSP as your studio grows. Apollo 8 also provides seamless integration with previous generation Apollos over Thunderbolt.
Now with Vintage Amps and Stompboxes
New for Apollo 8 is Unison technology on the front panel instrument inputs, giving you dead-on, impedance-matched emulations of guitar and bass amps like the Fender '55 Tweed Deluxe, Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959, and Ampeg B-15N Bass Amplifier, as well as iconic stompboxes like the Ibanez Tube Screamer.
Apollo 8 QUAD Key Features:
- 18 x 24 Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac and Windows* with powerful Console 2.0 software control
- 4 Unison™-enabled mic preamps for recording through exacting preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, and Universal Audio
- Built-in UAD-2 QUAD Core allows Realtime UAD Processing — tracking through DSP-assisted UAD plug-ins with near-zero latency, without draining CPU
- Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle featuring authentic LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild® compressors, Pultec® EQs, UA 610 tube preamp, and more
- Next-generation 24-bit/192 kHz Apollo A/D and D/A conversion as heard on hundreds of hit records
- Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD devices total over Thunderbolt*
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, and assignable Dim or Mono
- World-class UA analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
Includes the UAD Powered Plug-Ins Bundle
- UA 610-B (Unison)
- 1176LN Legacy
- 1176SE Legacy
- Ampeg SVT-VR Classic (Unison)
- Fairchild 670 Legacy
- Marshall Plexi Classic (Unison)
- Precision Channel Strip
- Precision Reflection Engine
- Precision Enhancer Hz
- Precision Delay Mod
- Precision Delay Mod L
- Pultec EQP-1A Legacy
- Pultec-Pro Legacy
- Teletronix LA-2A Legacy
- Raw Distortion (Unison)
- RealVerb Pro