Based in Albany, Oregon; Pettyjohn Electronics pedals "are engineered and built in the USA without compromise or shortcuts" - in their own words. Founded by studio engineer Stephen Pettyjohn, the eponymous company uses analogue components almost exclusively in the design of its guitar pedals, for achieving the most traditional and authentic tones possible.
Pettyjohn's Gold MKII overdrive pedal exemplifies this approach, emulating the unmistakable sound of a cranked plexi-style amplifier. Delivering those addictive black and gold tones, this stompbox has an incredibly responsive feel, with its 36V internal voltage replicating the massive headroom that old-school British amps are known for.
Here's what Pettyjohn Electronics says about the Gold MKII:
The Pettyjohn GOLD MKII is an update to our best selling golden amp overdrive. The GOLD has been loved for its ability to sound and feel like a high watt plexi syle amp. The GOLD MKII features many updates to the Version 1, including our new 36V dual rail power supply, our new Quiet Bypass system, a new box with recessed bottom screws with many updates under the hood plus an array of carefully selected custom shop upgrade mods to choose from.
We gave the GOLD MKII an extended gain range on both ends of the Gain control. It now effectively goes from a low gain, Plexi style edge of breakup tones to all out JCM 800/900 gain levels on the edge of all out distortion. The GOLD MKII is loaded with our most powerful 3-band EQ featuring our wide-range, sweepable Low cut and High cut filters and a powerful sweepable mid bell. With an ultra wide gain range and extremely flexible EQ section, there is no amp the GOLD MKII can’t transform into a formidable rock machine.
The GOLD MKII also features two internal mini toggles for further adjustments to the tone: One mini-toggle switches the high cut cap between a clear, punchy Wima cap we love with a classic 716 Orange Drop cap for a smoother, vintage-feeling high-end profile. The second internal mini-toggle switches the headroom of the clipping section.
- High voltage power - 36 Volts of internal power from standard 9v adaptor (200mA)
- Relay True Bypass switching - Soft touch switch with totally quiet switching and auto-bypass when power is off
- Clipping options - Choose between low headroom for more compression or high headroom for super punchy, open overdrive and Preamp Mod for now clipping diodes!
- High Cut Cap mod - Choose between a punchy Wima cap or a smooth Orange Drop cap in the high cut circuit
- Extended HIGHS and LOWS wide-range sweepable filters
- Extended Gain Range
- Made in the USA: Box and circuit handmade in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
- Dimensions: 2.75”W x 4.75”L x 2.5” H
- Weight: 2 lbs