The Apogee Ensemble is a high quality recording interface for Mac from Apogee who are widely renowned for providing pristine converters and stellar preamps without spending copious amounts of money!
The Ensemble is versatile enough to record everything from a guide vocal to a full live band. With 4 preamps built in as well as 4 line inputs and 10 digital inputs, the Ensemble allows you to start with a solid Firewire interface and expand accordingly.
Here's what Apogee say about the Ensemble
Ensemble, the first all digitally controlled, professional audio interface designed specifically for the Macintosh. Ensemble features 36 channels of simultaneous audio, including 8 channels of Apogee's legendary A/D and D/A conversion, 4 transparent, digitally controlled 75db mic preamps, 8 channels of ADAT I/O, 2 channels of S/PDIF coax and optical I/O, and FireWire connectivity to and from the computer.
Ensemble also includes premium Apogee technologies such as "SoftLimit", "UV22HR", and "Intelliclock". These technologies combined with Apogee's legendary conversion, make Ensemble an ideal choice for professionals seeking a high-definition, integrated solution that's incredibly easy to use.
Dial it in
Precision digital encoders give Ensemble users the hands on option to dial in levels and ride mic pre gain more accurately without using a mouse.
The Logical Choice
Ensemble is the first and only multi-channel audio interface that is fully integrated into Logic Pro. With Ensemble, everything from mic pre and output gain to sample and bit rate selection are controllable from within Logic's Apogee Control Panel. Ensemble, combined with Logic Pro, is the professional's, easy-to-use, digital audio work station for the Mac.
Take Control with Maestro
Maestro is an innovative software interface between OS X applications (OS 10.4 and above) and Apogee hardware. Maestro is capable of controlling Apogee hardware I/O connected to the computer via FireWire, Symphony, (Apogee's PCI Express card), or both at the same time.
Maestro at a Glance
- Control panel for Ensemble, Rosetta 800, Rosetta 200, AD-16X and DA-16X.
- 2 Low latency mixers per connected device
- Complete I/O routing matrix
- Mic preamp controls for Ensemble
- Output/headphone gain controls for Ensemble
Ensemble's StandAlone Mode offers professionals the option to use their Ensemble as a high-end converter and mic pre, independent of the computer.
Using Maestro and a Mac, configure your low latency and routing settings only once, Ensemble remembers the settings, even when disconnected from the computer and allows access to all front panel settings, such as mic pre gain and output levels, which are fully functional while in StandAlone Mode.
StandAlone Mode at a Glance
- Maestro mixer and routing settings, now located in Ensemble's non-volatile memory, enable storage of settings in Ensemble.
- Allows the use of Ensemble as a converter from analog to optical, coax and optical, or coax to analog, as well as other possible configurations.
- Changes to routing or settings in Maestro still require connectivity to a Macintosh computer.
The Total Package
The sound quality and versatility of Ensemble, combined with your favorite Core Audio application provides the most complete, FireWire-based digital audio workstation available.
- 8 channels of premium 24-bit 192K AD/DA conversion
- 4 digitally controlled 75db microphone preamps
- 2 fully balanced inserts on mic pre channels
- 4 Hi-Z instrument inputs capable of handling high level instruments
- 2 individual, controllable and assignable high level headphone outputs
- 2, 6 or 8 channel monitor outputs
- 8 channels of ADAT I/O
- FireWire 400 I/O, compatible with OS X Core Audio (no driver required)
- 2 channels of SPDIF I/O
- "Soft Limit" for maximum digital input level without overs
- "UV22HR" for superior dither of 24 bit resolution down to 16-bit
- Advanced, dual-stage "Intelliclock"
- Complete integration and control with Apple's Logic Pro Software
- Compatibility with any CoreAudio software applications
- Apogee's Maestro Software for advanced control and routing outside of Logic Pro
- Computer: Mac, with an Intel or Power PC G5 processor
- Memory: 1 GB minimum of installed RAM, 2 GB recommended
- OS: 10.5.7 or greater
- Connection: FireWire 400 or 800
- Power Cable
- FireWire 400 Cable
- FireWire 400 to 800 Cable
- Apogee Software & Documentation CD
- User's Guide