Everybody thinks of Fender & Gibson as being the old boys of guitar making, but compared to Martin these guys are just teenagers! Martin have been making guitars since 1833 & the Martin family still own & oversee everything. In that time Martin have made over 1,000,000 guitars & almost every famous guitar player ever (plus an awful lot of non famous players too!) has owned & cherished a Martin acoustic. The X series signifies a new age of Martin acoustics - one that uses new manufacturing techniques & brings that legendary guitar tone down to a previously unachievable price!
These guitars look a little basic - but thats a good thing! Martin have focused all the energy at just making a plain good guitar with no frills, & the basic tone is exceptionally good. These aren't made in the Far East either - these come from the American CF Martin factory, just the same as all the more expensive Martin models. Martin tone without the Martin price tag - we love these!
Here's what Martin say about the DX1
Martin Guitar has long recognized the serious nature of the earth's dwindling resources and has focused attention on alternative materials. At Martin, they're committed to making guitars that are within reach of every aspiring guitarist.
Martin's breakthrough X Series features guitars that are constructed with a combination of highly compressed wood fibers (high-pressure laminate, called HPL) and traditional tonewoods. They've found HPL to be an extremely durable and workable material. Martin has crafted ways to build traditional Martin shapes with HPL that yield incredibly long-lasting, affordable guitars. What's more, they've managed to build them so they possess the "famous" Martin sound and playability found in their more expensive guitars.
The DX1 dreadnought acoustic blends the tonal character and volume of a Solid Spruce soundboard with the consistency, durability and reflectivity of a Mahogany pattern HPL back and sides with a textured finish. The result is a startlingly loud and projective sound at a softer, more comfortable price! Other features include a hand-rubbed finish top, a comfortable Low Oval neck shape, and 1-11/16 in. nut width.
- CONSTRUCTION: Mortoise/Tenon Neck Joint
- BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret
- TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce
- ROSETTE: Inlaid Boltaron w/ Red Fiber/ Multiple Black/White/Black
- TOP BRACING PATTERN: D1 (A-Frame)
- TOP BRACES: 1 Style/Non-Scalloped
- BACK MATERIAL: Mahogany Pattern HPL Textured Finish
- BACK PURFLING: none
- SIDE MATERIAL: Mahogany Pattern HPL Textured Finish
- ENDPIECE: none
- ENDPIECE INLAY: none
- BINDING: none
- TOP INLAY STYLE: none
- SIDE INLAY: none
- BACK INLAY: none
- NECK MATERIAL: Rust Stratabond
- NECK SHAPE: Modified Low Oval
- NUT MATERIAL: White Corian
- HEADSTOCK: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper
- HEADPLATE: Mahogany Pattern HPL w/ Printed Logo
- HEELCAP: none
- FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Black Micarta
- SCALE LENGTH: 25.4''
- # OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
- # OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1 11/16''
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2 1/8''
- FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: none
- FINGERBOARD BINDING: none
- FINISH BACK & SIDES: none
- FINISH TOP: Hand Rubbed Finish
- FINISH NECK: none
- BRIDGE MATERIAL: Black Micarta
- BRIDGE STYLE: 1 Style Belly
- BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2 1/8''
- SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Micarta
- TUNING MACHINES: Chrome w/ Small Knobs
- RECOMMENDED STRINGS: MSP+ 4100 Coated Light Phosphor Bronze
- BRIDGE & END PINS: White w/ Black Dots
- PICKGUARD: I-01 Tortoise Color
- CASE: none
- INTERIOR LABEL: Foil Label - DX1 Solid Spruce Top