The Gibson ES-335 Dot is a timeless classic used by touring musicians for decades. It’s the ultimate workhorse semi-hollow body guitar. Known for crisp vintage tones and great feel. This newer model has seen some minor refinements to add to its unique style, whilst retaining the core features that make it instantly recognisable.
Body and neck
Under the metallic finish maple top is a rich maple body that Gibson semi hollowbody guitars are renowned for. This provides the guitar with strength, durability and a bright resonance. The neck is made of mahogany and shaped into a comfortable rounded ‘C’ profile - a balance between thickness and speed. On top is a classy rosewood fretboard offering plenty of warmth and grainy feel. 22 rolled frets are protected against rust and wear and feel effortless to play.
MHS II humbuckers are Gibson’s latest pickups, now installed in the ES-335 Figured. MHS stands for ‘Memphis Historic Spec’, so you know you’re getting a PAF-type humbucker sound. But these have plenty of midrange and clarity in medium output pickups. There’s huge sonic variety to explore thanks to two volume knobs and two tone knobs.
Hardware and electronics
Gibson have worked hard on improving their electronics for clearer sound and longevity, so your guitar can develop into a truly vintage instrument. The Memphis tone circuit is exclusive to the 2019 line and onwards. Featuring hand-wired 500K pots and Orange Drop Capacitors for smooth switching. Also added are faultless plated brass saddles and a rust-resistant zinc stopbar. A bone nut also keeps string friction to a minimum and keeps tuning extremely stable.
- Body Style: ES-335
- Back: 3-Ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Top: 3-Ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Bracing: Spruce
- Binding: Single-Ply Cream
- Centrelock: Maple
- Neck: Quarter-Sawn Mahogany
- Neck profile: Rounded “C”, Rolled Binding
- Nut width: 1.687”
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Scale length: 24.75”
- Number of frets 22
- Nut: Bone
- Inlay: Pearloid Dot
- Binding: Cream
- Bridge: ABR-1 with plated brass saddles
- Tailpiece: Die-cast Zinc Stopbar
- Knobs: Black Top Hats
- Tuners: Grover ‘Milk Bottle’ Rotomatics w/Kidney buttons
- Plating: Nickel
- Neck pickup: MHS II Rhythm Humbucker
- Bridge pickup: MHS II Lead Humbucker
- Controls: Memphis Tone Circuit : 2 Volumes, 2 Tones, 1 Toggle Switch, Hand-Wired With 500K Potentiometers And Orange Drop Capacitors