In case you hadn’t noticed, this is no ordinary Telecaster. A limited edition model from Fender, the ’72 Telecaster Custom borrows features from its namesake instrument as well as a number of different series’. The result is a hybrid instrument that’s rock ‘n’ roll to its very core.
Body & Neck
A classic Ash body provides a perfectly-balanced canvas for the SH pickup configuration, with a little bit of scoop in the midrange. The expanded ‘70s-style pickguard plays a huge part in the aesthetics of the instrument – it almost gives the Tele a different shape entirely.
The Maple neck features a familiar C shape neck profile complete with a gloss polyester finish to match the body. Expect a smooth, familiar playability with a luxurious feeling – vintage-style frets add a little old-school edge.
Hardware & Electronics
While the Telecaster is normally synonymous with dual single-coils, the ‘70s variations often featured a humbucker in the neck position. This ’72 specimen is no exception; you get a standard single-coil in the bridge and a Fender ‘Wide Range’ humbucker in the neck for extra dynamic fatness.
The headline feature, however, might just be the combination of 6-saddle bridge and Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. Accurate intonation, a touch of tuning stability and heaps of expressive wobble on top – what’s not to love?
- Body: Ash
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: C shape
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Frets Size: Vintage-style
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650” (42mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss rod: Bullet style
- Bridge Pickup: Standard Single-Coil Tele
- Neck Pickup: Fender "Wide Range" Humbucking
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge And Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: SH
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/chrome
- Tuning Machines: Fender Vintage F Stamped
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Adjustable Bridge with Fender Bigsby Vibrato Tailpiece
- Strings: Fender USA 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges)