Nord’s Wave 2 is a 4-part performance synth. It marries together virtual analog synthesis, FM and wavetable, with an extremely accessible user interface. Take full advantage of 48 voice polyphony, real-time editing/layering and intuitive controls to craft exciting sonic landscapes. A 61-note keybed with Aftertouch ensures the playing experience here is excellent, every time you sit down to play.
4 for the Price of 1
This instrument is pretty much four individual synths in one. As expected, this makes it an incredibly versatile piece of equipment. Layer samples or traditional waveforms and get instant feedback via the onboard OLED displays. Two functions form the backbone of the instrument.
The program layer function contains hands-on faders – allowing you to simultaneously change the pan and volume of each separate layer. This layer section provides further tools for solo/multi-editing and quick layer focus too. Grouping options then allow for multiple layers to be processed through the exact same effect’s settings, leading to extremely varied, intriguing and consistent sounds.
The oscillator function on each layer grants four contrasting modes – samples, FM, wavetable and analog. These can be browsed using a smart direct category mode. You’ll have direct control over the sync, detune and shape of your sounds as well; there’s an ultra-powerful multi-oscillator union effect which produces hundreds of waveforms at once, resulting in super fat tones.
Every single layer can have an effect applied to it. These include vibe, ensemble, chorus, ring modulation, pan, tremolo, an EQ (with drive), plus a bunch more. There’s even the option of applying an individual reverb section to each layer; choose from cathedral, hall, stage, room and booth to add another exciting element to your sound. Every effect can be controlled using a control pedal.
There are 6 filter types; one faithfully recreates the transistor ladder filter that helped to characterise the iconic mini model! You’ll have access to a complete ADSR envelope (with a transient attack mode for more power), plus an LFO with selectable waveforms per layer.
Morph & Evolve
The oscillator control, filter, LFO amount and effects can all be controlled via either the aftertouch, wheel, velocity or a control pedal. This lets you tweak and morph any of the parameters as you see fit. These sources can also be altered to affect a number of your parameters at the same time!
Utilise a polyphonic mode and a classic arpeggiator. Patterns can be freely edited to suit your personal preferences. They can be combined with the new gate feature, where you can chop apart your sound and add further depth in a more rhythmic style. Customisation is key.
Use the intuitive Nord Sample Editor 3 on Mac or Windows and loop, transfer and assign samples to your Wave 2. Adding these custom sample instruments is quick, easy and headache free.
Here’s What Nord Say About the Wave 2:
- 4-part Synthesizer with dedicated volume/pan faders
- Sample, Virtual Analog, Wavetable and FM synthesis
- 48 voice polyphony
- OLED Displays for Program and Oscillator sections
- 1 GB memory for Nord Sample Library 3.0
- User replaceable samples
- 61-note keyboard with Aftertouch
- Advanced Arpeggiator with Polyphonic Trig mode
- Gate feature for rhythmic effects
- Advanced Morph features with Impulse Morph
- Master Clock control of Arpeggiator, LFO and Effects
- Vibrato with 3 Delay modes and Wheel/Aftertouch assign
- Analog: Basic, Shape, Multi, Sync and Noise with up to 16 oscillators
- Advanced FM with harmonic and inharmonic algorithms
- True Unison mode
- LFO with five waveforms
- Flexible syncing and routing options
- AD/AR envelope
- ADSR Amp envelope
- Transient Attack Mode
- 12/24 dB lowpass, lowpass M, band pass, high pass, and LP+HP
- Filter Drive
- ADSR envelope
- FX section with Tremolo, Pan, Ring Modulation, Chorus, Ensemble and Vibe.
- EQ section with Drive
- Advanced Delay section
- Reverb section with five sizes + Dark, Bright and Chorale modes