Based in Albany, Oregon; Pettyjohn Electronics pedals "are engineered and built in the USA without compromise or shortcuts" - in their own words. Founded by studio engineer Stephen Pettyjohn, the eponymous company uses analogue components almost exclusively in the design of its guitar pedals, for achieving the most traditional and authentic tones possible.
Pettyjohn's Iron MKII overdrive pedal exemplifies this approach, capable of delivering thick medium-gain tones - akin to the character of cranked, classic American-style amps. Providing heaps of headroom, thanks to its 36V internal voltage; the Pettyjohn Electronics Iron MKII is extremely sensitive to your playing dynamics and projects a huge, airy drive sound that is full of rich harmonic content.
Here's what Pettyjohn Electronics says about the Iron MKII:
The Pettyjohn IRON MKII is a full re-work of our classic medium gain overdrive. Since its release over three years ago the IRON has become one of our most popular drives. The IRON has been loved for its ability to musically thicken your tone with the harmonic richness and touch sensitivity of vintage American amps pushed to the edge of breakup.
Originally developed as a second stage drive as part of the PettyDrive, it excels at being a second stage drive, stacking on top of another, largely in thanks to the clean mix feature. We have listened to feedback from players and dealers alike and have come up with a refined IRON MKII exemplifying Pettyjohn’s uncompromising approach in studio-grade tone engineering and product aesthetic.
The IRON MKII also represents Pettyjohn Electronics step toward more modular and customized pedal builds. We’re proud to announce the IRON MKII offers four customizable upgrades to build the ultimate tool for tone.
- High voltage power! – 36 Volts of internal power from standard 9v adaptor (200mA)
- Relay True Bypass switching – Soft touch switch with totally quite switching and auto-bypass when power is off
- HIGHS and LOWS wide range sweepable filters
- Clipping mix knob - Blend between Silicon and LED clipping
- Increased headroom and lower noise on all stages
- Active output level control for no tone loss and clean boost power
- Box and circuit handmade in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
- Dimensions: 2.75”W x 4.75”L x 2.5” H
- Weight: 2 lbs