Based in Albany, Oregon; Pettyjohn Electronics pedals "are engineered and built in the USA without compromise or shortcuts" - in their own words. Founded by studio engineer Stephen Pettyjohn, the eponymous company uses analogue components almost exclusively in the design of its guitar pedals, for achieving the most traditional and authentic tones possible.
Pettyjohn's Crush compressor pedal exemplifies this approach, providing you with studio-quality compression in a compact and ergonomic stompbox. Featuring a discrete VCA chip, the Pettyjohn Electronics Crush has plenty of headroom that ensures a glorious open compressor sound; unlike some pedal compressors that cause an anaemic, overly-squeezed tone.
Here's what Pettyjohn Electronics says about the Crush:
The Pettyjohn CRUSH is a studio-grade compressor in our Foundry Series single pedal format that is powered by a unique Discrete Voltage Controlled Amplifier (VCA). After bringing the first Discrete Opamp based pedal to the market with the original PreDrive in 2014, we are please to bring the first Discrete VCA based guitar pedal to market!
The CRUSH delivers highly musical compression in the spirit of beloved Discrete VCA compressors, such as those found in legendary British consoles, mastering buss compressors and vintage rack gear, but tailored specifically for use with any guitar or bass signals. Using a modern Discrete VCA in our design has its greatest advantage in that it is extremely transparent even at large gain reduction amounts.
Compression can be a bit of a mysterious effect to dial in so we tried to make our controls easy to navigate while having enough depth to achieve several unique compression styles easily with one small box. Furthermore, the CRUSH has several useful tools for shaping your tone beyond traditional compression effects. These features include a highly versatile TILT EQ circuit, a CLEAN MIX knob that mixes in a sweet, clean pre-amped signal and generous helping of make up gain on tap that can handle most boosting duties. Once you find your sweet spot, it may become a pedal you cant live without!
- The CRUSH compression circuit is based on a high performance, high headroom Discrete VCA chip made especially for Pettyjohn Electronics.
- First pedal utilizing a Discrete VCA normally found in Top Studio compressors with optimize performance for Electric, Acoustic and Bass instruments
- Lower Distortion and low noise, along with highly transparent tone sets this chip apart from other VCA’s on the market.
- Dual-rail power section with 12V to 18V center tip negative operation range, providing 24V-36V of voltage swing for huge internal headroom while drawing around 150mA
- RATIO: Three classic ratios, 2:1, 4:1 and 10:1, that cover a wide range of compression styles
- RELEASE: Three release settings, FAST, MEDIUM and SLOW
- COMPRESSION: Sets the compressor threshold level and thus increasing the amount of compression as you turn it clockwise. Wide range to accommodate high output guitars and basses without overloading or over compressing
- LEVEL: Sets gain of the VCA to make up for gain reduction that happens during heavy compression or function as a volume boost
- Box and circuit handmade in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
- Dimensions: 2.75”W x 4.75”L x 2.5” H
- Weight: 2 lbs