Over 40 years after it was discontinued, Fender's long-missed Lead Series is back and better than ever before! The Fender Lead III follows the design of the later 1982 model, and is equipped with a pair of humbuckers that are more apt for heavier overdriven and distorted sounds.
Complete with a modern C-shaped neck fitted with medium jumbo frets, the Lead III also sports dual-toggle switches for expanded tones, and of course - that unique Lead double-cutaway shape.
Produced in the late '70s and early '80s, the Fender Lead Series had a relatively short lifespan and only a handful of originals can be found on second-hand online marketplaces. Instead of spending eyebrow-raising prices on these often battered vintage guitars, you can now pick up a brand new Fender Lead model that's not only affordable, but modernised to meet the demands of today's musicians!
Body & Neck
In typical Fender fashion, the Lead III boasts a balanced-sounding Alder body that serves as a great foundation for the punchy-sounding pickups. Joining the body is a bolt-on Maple neck that yields a bright, snappy character; giving notes plenty of immediacy. Shaped to Fender's popular Modern "C" profile, this neck offers a comfortable feel that both contemporary and traditional players can enjoy.
Electronics & Hardware
Player Series Alnico 2 humbucking pickups give the Lead III its powerful tone. With thick lows, clear mids and sparkling highs; this dual humbucker configuration is surprisingly versatile. The switches allow you to not only switch between the pickups, but also engage a coil-split mode that provides you with articulate single-coil sounds.
The Fender Lead III comes equipped with a hardtail bridge, featuring block saddles that ensure maximum sustain and solid tuning stability, especially in conjunction with the vintage-style machine heads.
- Body: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Lead
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: Modern "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Frets Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Bridge Pickup: Player Series Alnico 2 Humbucking
- Neck Pickup: Player Series Alnico 2 Humbucking
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge: 6-Saddle String-Through-Body Hardtail With Block Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Strings: Fender USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)