Here's what Neumann say about the U87:
The Neumann U87 is the large-diaphragm condenser microphone. Used on countless famous recordings for vocals, drums, guitars - anything you can think of in fact - the Neumann U87 is one of those mics that is simply ubiquitous.
Thanks to its huge, detailed, clear sound that blends seamlessly into almost any mix, the U87 is a stand out microphone that will be the go-to mic in your arsenal for life!
The U87 condenser microphone is a large diaphragm microphone with three polar patterns and a unique frequency and transient response characteristic.
Users recognise the microphone immediately by its distinctive design. It is a good choice for most general purpose applications in studios, for broadcasting, film and television.
The U87 is used as a main microphone for orchestra recordings, as a spot mic for single instruments, and extensively as a vocal microphone for all types of music and speech.
The U87 is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo. The frequency response of the cardioid and figure-8 directional characteristics are very flat for frontal sound incidence, even in the upper frequency range. The microphone can be used very close to a sound source without the sound becoming unnaturally harsh. By means of a high-pass filter interferences through subsonic and low frequencies are reduced remarkably.
The dual-diaphragm capsule is elastically mounted and protected by a large headgrille. A switch below the headgrille selects the three directional patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid and figure-8. A window above this switch shows the symbol of the selected characteristic.
- Variable large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- The studio microphone classic
- Three directional characteristics: omni, cardioid, figure-8
- Switchable low frequency roll-off
- Switchable 10 dB pre-attenuation
- Ideal as main and as support microphone in the most differing recording situations
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-8 plus
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1kohm: 20/28/22 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier (A-weighted): 105 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V