Modal COBALT5S 37-key 5-Voice Extended Virtual Analogue Synthesiser
Take virtual-analogue synthesis anywhere!
The Modal Electronics COBALT5S is a cutting-edge virtual analogue synthesizer. Taking inspiration from the iconic analogue synths that came before it, Modal pairs the best of these influences with first class synth architecture allowing the experience to go truly mobile. With 5 voices and up to 8 oscillators per voice, this synth can produce a diverse palette of sounds, from deep bass to expansive pads.
Hosting an impressive stash of features and the same self-oscillating 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter found in the COBALT8, the COBALT5S brings all the warmth, bite, and character you would expect from a Modal synthesizer with endless additional possibilities. Housed within a small footprint and with USB power specifications, the COBALT5S allows you to go beyond analogue, anywhere.
- Next-generation Extended Virtual-Analogue Synthesis engine
- True 5-voice polyphonic
- 40 virtual-analogue oscillators - up to 8 per voice
- 40 complex algorithms including Sync, Ring Modulation, Waveform Morphing
- Modal’s morphable 4-pole Ladder Filter
- Four separate filter modes
- Dual stereo FX engines
- 512-note real-time/step-sequencer
- Programmable 32-step advanced arpeggiator
- 1 Polyphonic LFO and 1 Global LFO
- 37-note compact-key bed with aftertouch
- Five-axis X/Y/Z pressure-sensitive keypad
- 16 quick-access smooth rotary switch encoders
- MPE support
- Monochrome OLED display
- USB power
- Easy editing via the free MODALapp, available in multiple formats
- Memory for up to 300 presets
- Multiple keyboard modes
- Dual ¼-inch line out jacks
- ¼-inch stereo headphone output
- ¼-inch sustain pedal input
- MIDI ins and outs
- Clock sync In and Out
Virtual Analogue Anywhere
Combine Model Electronics’ famous build quality with an ultra-portable footprint and you have a synthesizer loaded with quality features suitable for wherever and whenever creativity hits. The COBALT5S features a 37-note compact-key keybed with aftertouch and USB power specifications meaning you can use the COBALT5S anywhere you want. Power up via PC/Mac or portable power brick and create breath-taking sonic landscapes without restriction.
The COBALT5S seriously packs a punch and the vast palette of sounds at your fingertips will blow you away. Featuring 5 true polyphonic voices, two independent algorithm groups and up to 8 oscillators per voice this synth takes analogue modelling to the next level. Add to the mix 40 complex algorithms - including Sync, Ring Modulation and Waveform Morphing to name a few - and you're looking a serious piece of kit capable of producing rich, enveloping synth textures.
Morphable Ladder Filter
Bringing over the self-oscillating 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter from the COBALT8, COBALT5S has all the warmth, colour, and texture to suit any performance demands. Mainstay controls for Cutoff and Resonance feature alongside four separate filter modes and a Morph parameter, giving even more real-time control over the frequency response of the filter. Each feature further enabling musicians, sound designers and synth enthusiasts alike to become totally immersed in the sonic landscapes available.
Sculpt your Sound
The COBALT5S provides everything you'll need to fine-tune your sound with confidence and precision. The usual high standard of features included typifies a Modal synth and means crafting your perfect sound has never been easier. Three envelopes complete with selectable types control the filter, amp, or modulation destinations, granting unrestricted access to sonic sculpture. One Polyphonic LFO and one Global LFO can be used to control a whole host of modulation sources, selected via an 8-slot modulation matrix. COBALT5S' X/Y/Z touchpad provides incredible 5-axis control over pitch bend, mod wheel and/or any user-selected modulation assignment. Two stereo effect engines run independently and include staple effects such as delay and chorus to add a layer of polish and depth to your overall sound.
Everything You Need
When it comes to live situations, the COBALT5S is primed for absolutely any performance or production situation imaginable. Loaded with a 512-note real-time/step-sequencer, 4 animation lanes, and a built-in programmable 32-step advanced arpeggiator, this synth can really perform. MPE support means Creative expression is elevated even further via compatible MPE controllers. We’ve only scratched the surface of the capabilities available to the modern artist.
Connect Your Favourite Gear
There are tons of options when it comes to hooking external components of your setup to the COBALT5S. Use the dual ¼-inch line out jacks to connect to mixing desks or PA systems, or practice in private using the ¼-inch stereo headphone output. It's a breeze to connect all your MIDI peripherals using the full-size MIDI ins and outs, as well as having MIDI over USB capability available. You can even keep everything locked in time using the Clock sync In and Out. Whether as a standalone synth or as part of a bigger assortment of gear, the COBALT5S always shines through.
Download the free MODALapp to dive into the sound editing and performance parameters of the COBALT5. Available as a standalone app for macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS or Android systems and in VST3 and AU plug-in formats, you'll be able to bring the convenience of screen-based editing to device of choice. It's an ideal way to manage all your patches and make your workflow even smoother with added portability. Creating your dream libraries and sequences just got easier.
- True 5 voice polyphonic
- Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
- Oscillators - 40 high-resolution virtual-analogue oscillators, up to 8 per voice. Two independent and self-contained oscillator groups with sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms plus 40 different algorithms including: complex analogue synthesis techniques, built-in cross modulation (SYNC, RM, and many more), PWM, smooth morphing between VA waves, bit crushing and filtered noise. Extended Oscillator Drift
- 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance and four switchable configurations. Resonance and Balanced Filter Modes. Modulation Three dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions for MOD and FILTER ENVs. Two audio-rate LFO’s with tempo sync (one poly, one global) with seven different shapes. Eight assignable modulation slots and four additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 11 modulation sources and 41 modulation destinations.
Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Polyphonic real-time sequencer with 512 notes and four recordable/editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFO’s, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally) Polyphonic Step Sequencer with 64 steps, 5 notes per step, 4 lanes of Parameter-Lock style animation, Step Input mode, multiple playback modes including gate modes and rest function. Built-In sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability and up to 2048 steps before repeating.
- Two incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus and Stereo Delay.
- 300 patch memories, all fully editable; ships with 200 factory programs. 100 sequencer presets that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements. 4 Quick Recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favourite patches.
Controls and Performance
- Premium 37 compact-key keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch. 16 switched encoders support real-time CC message transmissions to other MIDI devices or DAWs
- Five-axis X/Y/Z pressure-sensitive keypad for pitch bend, mod wheel and/or modulation assignments. Multiple keyboard modes, Mono, Poly, Stack 2, Unison 2, Unison 4. Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes.
Inputs and Outputs
- 6.35 mm / 1/4” TS line outputs
- 6.35 mm / 1/4” TRS headphone output
- MIDI DIN In and Out
- 3.5 mm / 1/8” TS Analogue clock sync In and Out
- Class compliant MIDI over USB connection
- 6.35 mm / 1/4” TS sustain pedal input
Enclosure and Display
- Durable polycarbonate enclosure. 1 large monochrome OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times of playing/editing
- DC-9.0V – 1.5A centre-positive or USB-bus powered
- (L x W x H): 56.5 x 16.2, x 5.7 cm / 22.24” x 6.38” x 2.24”
- Weight: 2.36 kg / 5.20 lbs
- Onboard Sounds
- Sound Engine
- Virtual-Analogue Synthesis Engine
- Modal Electronics
- Key Size
- Full Size
- Number of Keys
- Built-in Effects
Trusted Customer26th Apr 2023
Trusted Customer19th Feb 2023
Elfazio627th Feb 2023
Mr Edward Traylen9th Jan 2023
Mr Ant Richardson28th Dec 2022
Trusted Customer11th Jul 2022
Trusted Customer31st Mar 2022
Select deposit amount
0% = £0.00
- Total Cash Price
- Amount of Credit
- Duration of Agreement
- 0 Months
- 0 Monthly Repayments
- Cost of Credit
- APR Representative
- Annual Rate of Interest (Fixed)
- Settlement Fee
- Total Amount Payable