How do you take a guitar that's defined a generation (and then some) and still manage to improve upon it? Well, Martin have done just that by applying small, but effective changes to their iconic dreadnought guitar.
Tonally, the biggest difference Martin have made is the new forward-shifted bracing. This allows the top to vibrate and resonate more than ever before while still offering a strong support structure for the guitars body.
Vintage & Modern
The combination of aged spruce top, vintage open-gear tuners and modern forward-shifted bracing means that this guitar captures the tone of an old, well played instrument but with modern playability. And it's far more reliable than an older instrument too!
The new high performance neck feels more comfortable in the palm without taking so much away that you feel short changed. The comfortable fit simply means you can play for hours on end without your hands getting tired.
Here's what Martin say about the D-28 Re-imagined:
Sometimes innovation is in the details and this is certainly true with Martin’s re-imagined D-28. After nearly a century at the helm, and as the quintessential workhorse of music legends like Hank Williams, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and so many more, Martin's legendary D-28 has been lovingly and artfully enhanced. “The post WWII D-28 had a slightly different look than its predecessor and became the centerpiece of the folk and folk rock movements at their pinnacle in the 1950s and 1960s." says Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO of Martin Guitar, "We have extracted the finest features from the D-28 of both my grandfather’s and my father’s respective eras.”
The all new D-28 blends the rich history of the guitar with Martin’s newest and most heralded innovations. The 184 year old guitar maker has combined vintage appointments, including open gear tuners, an aged toner top, antique white accents, and a faux tortoise pickguard with a new neck profile to give D-28 enthusiasts a modern feel and comfortable playing experience.
Martin has also added forward-shifted bracing to allow greater vibration of the top. The legend just got better!
- Model: D-28 Re-imagined
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce
- Top Detail: None
- Rosette: Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: Forward Shifted X Brace
- Brace Shape: Non-Scalloped
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Size: 5/16"
- Back Material: East Indian Rosewood
- Back Detail: None
- Back Purfling/Strip: Style 28
- Side Material: East Indian Rosewood
- Side Detail: None
- Endpiece: Antique White
- Endpiece Inlay: Multi-Stripe
- Binding: Antique White
- Top Inlay Material: Multi-Stripe
- Side Inlay Material: None
- Back Inlay Material: Multi-Stripe
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Plek: Yes
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Square Taper and Diamond
- Headplate Material: East Indian Rosewood
- Headplate Detail: N/A
- Headplate Logo Style: Script Old Style Overlay
- Headplate Binding Material: None
- Heelcap: Antique White
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8''
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: Mother of Pearl
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: Style 28
- Fingerboard Binding Material: None
- Side Dots: White
- Back and Side Finish: Gloss
- Back and Sides Color: None
- Finish Top: Gloss
- Top Color: Aging Toner
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Neck Color: Dark Mahogany
- Bridge Material: Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 5/32"
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Saddle Radius: 16"
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open Gear
- Recommended Strings: SP Acoustic 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Medium (MSP4200)
- Knob: Butterbean
- Bridge Pin Material: White Plastic
- Bridge Pin Dots: Faux Tortoise
- Pickguard: Faux Tortoise
- Pickguard Inlay: None
- Case: Molded Hardshell