The Nord Lead A1 is designed to be the easiest Nord synth to program and use ever! What’s more such simplicity is just one of the benefits of a more efficient design and build, and another great benefit of that is reduced cost, making the Nord Lead A1 not only easy to get great sounds out of but at a price that everyone will appreciate!
The Lead 4 and now the Lead A1 are equipped with an all new analogue modeling sound engine, capable of reproducing the character and nuances of the vintage synths of your dreams with breathtaking accuracy. 24-voice polyphonic and four part multi-timbral, the Lead A1 is a flexible choice for either stage or studio, delivering a stunningly rich and versatile palette of sounds!
Here's what Nord say about the Lead A1
Nord Keyboards are proud to announce the new Nord Lead A1 analogue modelling synthesizer. The Lead A1 combines the latest analogue modelling engine from the acclaimed Lead 4, with an innovative streamlined interface for fast-track programming.
The Lead 4 and now the Lead A1 are equipped with an all new analogue modeling sound engine, capable of reproducing the character and nuances of the vintage synths of your dreams with breathtaking accuracy. 24-voice polyphonic and four part multi-timbral, the Lead A1 is a flexible choice for either stage or studio, delivering a stunningly rich and versatile palette of sounds.
THE NEED FOR SPEED
The Lead A1 introduces a new front-panel user interface designed to make programming quick and easy, while retaining hands on flexibility.
"We've been thinking about and honing this interface for a number of years in response to what we hear from many professional players regarding the ever-increasing time pressures in creating sounds for stage or studio. " says Hans Nordelius, CEO and head designer.
One of the main features of the new interface is the Oscillator section, where Oscillator configuration shortcuts allow patches to be created and edited far quicker than is usually possible for synthesis of this complexity.
Using a single LFO and simplified Modulation Envelope with intuitive controls on the front panel, it is also very quick to experiment with modulations, always with a clear overview of the structure of the patch.
The on-board filters include Low Pass, High Pass and Band Pass, along with new stunningly accurate modelled Ladder M and Ladder TB filters introduced in the Lead 4.
The Lead A1 features an independent effects processor for each of its four slots. Delay, high quality Reverb, plus a choice of Drive, Ring Modulation, Phaser, Flanger, Ensemble or Chorus are available per slot. The impressive new Ensemble and Chorus effects are analog models of specific classic synths, bringing vintage analogue warmth and feel.
Nord's acclaimed Morph function via Velocity or the Mod Wheel is also included, allowing multiple parameters to be morphed in real time and with exceptionally easy control.
Additional functions include an independent arpeggiator for each of the four slots, Master Clock sync of the LFO, delay and Arpeggiator, MIDI over USB, and four independent outputs. The Lead A1 also includes the Nord Sound Manager software patch librarian.
Like all Nord products, the Lead A1 is handmade in Sweden with meticulous attention to detail and quality control.
- 49-key octave velocity sensitive keyboard with octave shift buttons (+/-2 octaves).
- Keyboard Split with 2 slots for the upper and lower sections.
- Modulation Wheel
- Pitch Stick (with no dead zone at zero crossing).
- Programmable Pitch bend range, up to +/- 4 octaves
- Separate up/down bend range: -12 or -24 semitones, + 2 semitones
- 1 pedal input for sustain.
- 1 pedal input for expression pedal.
- 3 LED displays, 23 knobs, 3 encoders and 20+ buttons for program and performance editing.
- Multiple Oscillator waveforms (traditional analog, extended analog, pulse waveforms, wavetable)
- OSC config knob 8 categories (Pitch, Detune, Shape, Sync, Ring Modulation, Noise, Dual Osc, FM)
- Multi-mode filter with 12 dB (2-pole) low pass, 24 dB (4-pole) lowpass and band pass, high pass, Ladder M and Ladder 303 characteristics.
- Cut off, Resonance, envelope amount, envelope amount controlled by velocity.
- ADR/ASR envelope.
- Filter keyboard tracking can be set to off, 1/3, 2/3 or full.
- Adjustable Filter Distortion.
- LFO 1 generates a triangle, square, sawtooth, inverted sawtooth or sample and hold waveforms. LFO 1 can be routed to Filter Frequency, Pitch, Shape and Osc mod. The LFO 1 rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- LFO can be switched to Env mode with three different characteristics and sample and hold is manually triggered by keyboard.
- Arpeggiator: Range: 1 - 4 octave. Modes: up, down, up/down, random, Poly. The Arpeggio rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- ADR/ASR envelope, velocity control on/off, inverse envelope on/off.
- AD/SR envelope, velocity control on/off, gain control.
- individual Pan-control per program
- Voice modes: Poly, Legato with portamento, Mono, True Unison 1, 2 & 3.
- Four program slots for layering possibilities.
- FX section with Flanger, Phaser, Ring Modulation, Chorus, Ensemble and Drive.
- Delay section with tap tempo, four stages of feedback, ping-pong, dry/wet mix. The Delay speed can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- Reverb section with five algorithms (Room, Stage 1, Stage 2, Hall 1, Hall 2).
- Programs (single sounds): 8 x 50 (400) locations
- Performances (multi sounds): 4 x 50 (200) locations
- 4 outputs. Each slot can be assigned to its own output.
- Headphones output.
- High resolution low noise 24 bit DACs.
- All control knobs and switches send and receive control change messages.
- System exclusive bulk dumps. One program or all programs.
- Master Clock will sync to incoming MIDI clock.
- Soft Thru
- 4 Line Level Audio Outputs - 1/4", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- Stereo Headphone Output - 1/4", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- Sustain Pedal - 1/4", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g., Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- Control Pedal - 1/4", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-7, Roland EV-5, Korg EXP2 or Korg XVP10.
- USB connector with MIDI capabilities
- MIDI In & Out - 5 pin DIN connectors
- User Manual
- Power Cord with IEC C14 connector
- Nord CD ROM with Nord Sound Manager
- Nord Lead A1: 864 x 94 x 272 mm (34.0 x 3.7 x 10.7")
- Nord Lead A1: 4.85 kg (10.7 lbs)