The Sequential Pro 3 is a 2-VCO + wavetable mono/paraphonic synthesizer that builds on the iconic Sequential Pro 1 and Pro 2 models. It boasts a three-octave, semi-weighted keyboard - featuring both velocity and channel aftertouch -, a location-sensitive touch slider and modulation wheels. You’ve got every tool here required for a serious level of creative control!
This special edition of the Pro 3 features the very same power and versatility as the standard version. However, it boasts a unique high-quality walnut trim and a tilt-up control panel, setting it apart from its cousin.
The Holy Trinity
Three oscillators; three LFO’s; three vintage filters. The power and versatility of the Pro 3 comes in sets of three. In addition to this you’ll find four loopable envelopes, a 16 x 16 x 4 sequencer and a titanic 32-slot modulation matrix (with a multitude of potential sources and destinations). This synth doesn’t mess about.
Its hybrid nature combines modern tech with analog synthesis. A wavetable oscillator brings a more digital feel to proceedings, while the pair of voltage-controlled oscillators deliver old-school warmth and increased presence. The tones and sounds you can conjure from this thing are made possible partly thanks to 32 tables of 16 waves each. Wave morphing madness is here in absolute buckets.
Sequence, Sequence, Sequence
A 16 track, 16 step, 4 phrase sequencer offers step and real-time input, changing sequence/gate lengths, a variety of playback modes and ratcheting. The synth also syncs to both external audio input, the MIDI clock and any input or output control voltages. Not to forget the paraphonic potential here…
Paraphonic Meets Monophonic
The Pro 3 works equally well as a mono-synth, as it does as a paraphonic one. The creative results? You can produce 3-note chords reinforced with per-oscillator modulation and a number of incredible effects.
This synth packs in just about every kind of effect you could ever want or need. Reverbs, delays, chorus, flanging and phasing are all present, plus a whole lot more. Each of the three syncable LFO’s boast phase and slew offset too. Not to mention that there’s a fully kitted out arpeggiator.
Vintage Style Filters
The overall sound comes from the old-school influenced filters. Filter 1 is a 4-pole, lowpass design; filter 2 is a transistor ladder filter; filter 3 is a 2-pole state variable build; a final drive control adds extra punch when you’re looking for more grit.
A high-level of flexibility ensures you can connect with modular synths and process external audio. Rout and assign control voltages from the modulation matrix; running them at audio rates leads to some wild modulation effects! An architecture like this means the Pro 3 can become the centre of your multi-synth setup. It’s possible to send parameters to the CV outputs like LFO’s, envelopes, sequencer tracks and oscillators.
User Wavetable Import
There's even support here for user-created wavetables. Use Sequential's web-based system 'Wavetable Generator' to convert up to 16 single-cycle waves into any Pro 3 compatible wavetable. It can then be loaded onto any of the 32 user wavetable slots found on the synth. You'll need to upgrade to version 1.1 of the Pro 3 operating system (found on the support section of the Sequential website) to take full advantage of the feature. It's an upgrade that's free of charge!
NEW: PATCH MORPHING INTRODUCED WITH 1.2 OPERATING SYSTEM UPDATE
Sequential introduces a new patch morphing update: users can morph between two different sounds using one of the Pro 3's real-time controllers such as mod wheel, touch slider, key pressure and more. Patch morphing givrs you real-time control over the vast world occurring between two sounds, becoming an incredible tool for live performance.
To get access to the update head over to the Sequential User Forum and uprgrade to the version 1.2 of the Pro 3 operating system, currently in pre-release or "Beta" format. The upgrade is free of charge.
- Two analog, voltage-controlled oscillators
- One DSP-based digital oscillator
- Analog oscillators produce three classic wave shapes: (triangle, saw, pulse) with variable shape modulation/pulse width on each
- Digital oscillator produces 32 digital wavetables of 16 waves each with wave morphing, plus classic wave shapes (sine, triangle, saw, variable-width pulse) and super saw
- Digital oscillator 3 can function as an LFO for complex wavetable-based modulation
- White noise generator
- Hard sync, per-oscillator Glide, Oscillator Slop
3-Voice Paraphonic Playability
- 3-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator
- Three classic filter types
- Filter 1 is a 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, Prophet-6™ low-pass filter
- Filter 2 is a classic, 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, transistor ladder filter with optional resonance compensation
- Filter 3 is a 2-pole, 12 db per-octave, OB-6™ state-variable filter. It can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
- Three syncable LFOs with phase offset and slew per LFO
- Five waveshapes: triangle, saw, reverse saw, square, and S&H
- Four ADSR envelopes with delay (Filter, VCA, and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
Feedback and Distortion
- Tuned feedback with Grunge for extra-aggressive tonal destruction
- Programmable analog distortion
32-Slot Modulation Matrix
- 32 slot modulation matrix with over 46 mod sources and over 171 mod destinations
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing
- Mod Matrix runs at audio rates
4 Control Voltage Ins & Outs and Gate Out
- Four control voltage (CV) inputs and outputs for interfacing with modular synths and other CV-compatible devices
- Parameters that can be sent to CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, sequencer tracks and any other source within the modulation matrix. Runs at audio rates
- Gate Out for triggering external CV-compatible devices. Any CV in can be used as a gate input
- Advanced sequencer with three modes: normal, gated, and trigger
- 16 tracks and 4 linkable 16-step phrases
- Per-step ratcheting, duration, and velocity
- Multiple playback modes: forward, reverse, forward/reverse, random
- Supports real-time/step input, rests, and variable-length sequences
- Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV input
- Sequences freely assignable to any modulation destination
- Sophisticated arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV inputs
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Runs concurrent with Sequencer for arpeggiated patterns with parameter automation
- Over 60 knobs and 70 buttons enable deep, comprehensive editing with minimal menu diving
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels are easily visible in low-light situations and have a smooth, precise response.
- Independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range
- Position-sensitive latchable touch slider for enhanced interactivity and control
- Full-sized, three-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- 512 user and 512 factory programs
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible set lists of your favourite programs
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI Out, and 1 MIDI Thru/Out 2 port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 4 CV inputs (4 x 1/8″ jack) with -10v to +10v voltage range
- 4 CV outputs (4 x 1/8″ jack) with -10v to +10v voltage range
- 1 Gate Out (1/8″ jack)
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 1 Expression pedal input
- 1 External audio input (1/4″ phone jack)
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
- 1 universal IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Premium, 3-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keyboard
- 26.5″ L x 13″ W x 3.5″ H (67.3 cm x 33 cm x 8.9 cm)