Jon Gomm is one of the best acoustic guitarists around today and he's teamed up with Ibanez to release a signature model that's perfect for the modern, percussive fingerstyle he's known for. The JGM10 has been designed to make modern fingerstyle a smooth and accessible experience. From the asymmetric jumbo cutaway body shape and wide string spacing to the combination of a soundhole pickup, internal microphone, and a tap pickup, everything about the JGM10 is designed to be a modern fingerstyle dream.
- Asymmetric jumbo cutaway body - ideal for tapping with great access to the upper frets and capable of deep low tones
- 11.4mm string spacing - plenty of room for fingerstyle
- Jumbo frets - smooth playability and note clarity
- Thermo Aged Solid Sitka Spruce top - offers a vintage-style tone
- Fishman Electronics - magnetic pickup, soundhole mic, and tap pickup to create a full, natural sound when plugged-in
Body and Neck
The JGM10 features a jumbo asymmetric body shape with a cutaway. This shape is ideal for modern fingerstyle thanks to the deep yet focused lows it produces, both from the strings and percussion on the body. The wide, flat cutaway also provides excellent access to the upper frets, perfect for players who frequently incorporate tapping and need to move both hands quickly around the entire body of the guitar.
The back and sides of the body are made from solid pau ferro which is similar to rosewood in appearance and tone, providing a rich sparkle that complements the booming lows of the body. The top is made from Thermo Aged solid Sitka spruce. Spruce has a naturally balanced tone, however with Ibanez's thermo aging process it takes on a more dry, vintage sound like that of a well worn-in guitar.
The neck is a five piece mahogany and pau ferro construction which helps improve durability and is topped with an ebony fingerboard for a smooth, natural feel. The JGM10 has an 11.4mm string spacing which gives your fingers plenty of space to manoeuvre round the fingerboard. Toward the other end is the toploading ebony bridge which makes string changes quicker and easier and offers a better percussive sound.
The Fishman pickup system inside the JGM10 offers an impressively full and natural tone as it takes the sound from multiple sources. The Rare Earth Mic Blend features both a magnetic soundhole pickup as well as an internal microphone. The magnetic pickup offers a consistent sound that captures the details from every string, while the internal microphone captures the air sound and resonance that's crucial for acoustic tone. The PowerTap Earth Blend pickup complements this setup by capturing the percussive sounds that vibrate through the body making this a perfect system for players who incorporate percussive elements into their playing.
Additionally, the JGM10 features dual outputs giving you more options for amplifying or recording. Plug into the endpin jack only and you'll get the sound of both pickups and the microphone as a mono signal. Plug into both output jacks and you'll get the magnetic pickup and microphone signal from the endpin jack, and the tap pickup signal from the mono flush mount endpin jack.
- Body Shape: Asymmetrical Jumbo body
- Bracing: Thermo Aged Spruce Modified X-M Bracing
- Top: Thermo Aged Solid Sitka Spruce top
- Back & Sides: Solid Pau Ferro back & Solid Pau Ferro sides
- Neck: JGM / African Mahogany/Pau Ferro 5pc neck
- Fretboard: Macassar Ebony fretboard
- Bridge: Macassar Ebony top loading bridge
- Body Binding: Macassar Ebony body binding with rounded body edge
- Top Board Purfling: Wooden
- Soundhole Rosette: Specially Designed Wooden
- Tuning Machines: Chrome Die-cast tuners(18:1 gear ratio)
- Nut Material: Bone
- Number of Frets: 20
- Saddle Material: Compensated Bone
- Strings: D'Addario XTAPB1256
- String Gauge: .012/.016/.025/.035/.045/.056
- String Spacing: 11.4mm
- Factory Tuning: 1D,2A,3G,4D,5G,6C
- Pickup: Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend Active Soundhole, Tap
- Preamp: Fishman PowerTap Earth Blend preamp
- Output Jack: Dual Outputs (2 endpin jacks - 1 stereo/mono output capability built in (with strap button) - 1 mono flush mount)
- Length: 20 7/8"
- Width: 17 "
- Max Depth: 4 7/8"
- Fibreglass case included
- Luminlay side dots