Caroline Guitar Company Haymaker
The Haymaker is a fantastic, versatile overdrive pedal from Caroline. They intentionally didn't copy any TS or Klon-style circuits to get their sound because they wanted an original sound and have achieved that.
It will push your amp into mild overdrive or high gain distortion, with a distinct British voice. It retains calrity, but still has a lot of mid-range kick to cut through the mix. And because of its 3-way mode gain stage, it has a highly dynamic range, just like a tube amp.
So it responds when you pick softly or when you give it a bit more attack.
The Haymaker can go from clean, mild boost to overdrive and even into high-gain territory depending on where you have the toggle switch set.
Each mode changes the dynamic range of the pedals which means on setting 1, it will have a lot of headroom and a cleaner sound but setting 3 will compress and distort more easily. Therefore giving you more gain on tap.
- Volume (Top Left): The volume knob is self explanatory, it controls how loud the output signal is.
- Punch (Top Right): The punch knob controls the amount of drive that is added to the signal, this dial is very responsive and depicts a punching hand to signify a haymaker punch.
- Shape (Bottom Right): The shape knob sets the frequency response and overall grit in the signal.
- Highs (Bottom Left:) The highs (AKA stacks) knob is a low pass filter to manage the amount of treble added to the output signal.
Here's what Caroline say about their Haymaker
After implementing an overdrive preamp in our Kilobyte Lo-Fi delay, we decided to finally make our ultimate overdrive engine, the Haymaker.
Prepare to be shocked at its character, range, versatility, and power. Easily capable of going from open, glassy flavors of boost to classic crunch sounds that sound like an extension of your amplifier’s character, Haymaker can go even further into high gain territory.
A three-way mode switch lets you choose soft-clipped overdrive, open uncompressed drive, or harder clipped distortion textures, allowing you to decide how the pedal will respond to the wide range of control settings and changes with your pick attack and volume control.
These responsive changes in dynamic range are why we call this a “dynamic drive”.
From the first day we began making pedals in fall of 2010, we received requests to build clones of well known overdrives such as the Klon Centaur, Timmy, and Tube Screamer.
We were never interested in pursuing that kind of work. While those are great pedals that are already out there for people to find, for us to make something worthy of replacing one of them on our personal boards, it would take more than just putting our name on another maker’s design.
We weren’t going to make and release an overdrive until we came up with our own thing that was interesting to us and something that we liked even more.
- True Bypass
- 9V DC Operation
- 10mA or less current
- 3 Drive Modes
- Soft Clipping (Mode A and C)
- Open and Uncompressed (Mode B)
- Stacks Knob Provides LPF
- Hand Built in Columbia, South Carolina
1 In Stock
Order now for delivery to you on Monday, 24 September 2018 This item may be on display
Applies to most UK postcodes. Please allow 2-3 days for delivery to Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands, UK Islands & Mainland Europe
1 in stock at our Guildford store
- This item may be our display / demo model.
- Please call to check the condition of this item.
Stock levels last updated at
Free UK Delivery