Boss DS-1 Distortion Compact Pedal
The classic Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal set the standard for overdrive. It provides a harder distortion effect for guitar and keyboard sounds. Instead of toneless, fuzzy distortion, the DS-1 faithfully reproduces all the subtle nuances of playing dynamics--at any volume. Joe Satriani swears by it.....
If you're setting up your first pedalboard, or just rounding out your sound, this pedal has to be one of the must have pieces of kit.
Here's What Boss Say About the DS-1 Distortion Compact Pedal
The Benchmark In Guitar Distortion
The DS-1 Distortion is a true icon in the world of guitar effects. Introduced in 1978, BOSS’s first distortion pedal defined a bold new sound, delivering hard-edged attack and smooth sustain that’s been a staple of players for generations. The DS-1 is the top-selling BOSS compact pedal ever, and its original, unchanged design continues to inspire the creation of great music everywhere. The classic DS-1 tone is behind the signature sounds of numerous rock legends, and is ready to fuel your own signature sound today.
Before the DS-1, most distortion pedals produced harsh, buzzy tones and muddy sound at high gain settings. In 1978, BOSS engineers changed all that by developing a unique distortion circuit for the DS-1 that produces tight, hard-edged gain with rich harmonics while retaining the unique characteristics of different guitars and playing techniques. Hard rock, metal, and punk styles began to flourish in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and the DS-1’s tone had a defining influence on these genres. That trend has endured through multiple generations, and players around the world continue to seek out the classic DS-1 sound.
Gain from Mild to Heavy
From its modest three-knob interface, many different sound colors can be coaxed from the DS-1. Its pioneering two-stage circuit incorporates both transistor and op-amp gain stages. This approach is critical to the DS-1’s characteristic low-frequency fullness, which is loved by guitarists that play heavy music genres. The distortion knob offers an extremely wide range, from a mild boost for driving amps and pedals to full-throttle gain for monster rock riffs.
Powerful Tone Shaping
Unlike typical tone controls that only cut highs, the DS-1’s tone circuit features an innovative design that offers far more range. Turning the knob clockwise increases highs and decreases lows, while going counter-clockwise has the opposite effect. This lets you dial in everything from tight, cutting rhythm sounds to smooth, fat lead voices. The tone control is particularly effective for maintaining low-end definition when using the DS-1 as a booster with vintage-style amps, which often sound muddy when driven with other distortion pedals.
- Legendary distortion used by guitarists everywhere since 1978
- Classic tones for all types of music
- Hard-edged attack remains clear even at maximum distortion settings, ideal for heavy rhythms and cutting solos
- Works great as a booster at low distortion settings
- Unique tone control offers a wide range of sound shaping
- Doesn’t mask the unique sound characteristics of different guitars, pickups, and styles
- Turning down the guitar’s volume cleans up the tone without introducing muddiness
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level: -20 dBu
- Input Impedance: 1 M ohm
- Nominal Output Level: -20 dBu
- Output Impedance: 1 k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10 k ohms or greater
- Pedal switch
- GAIN knob
- TONE knob
- LEVEL knob
- CHECK indicator (Used for indication of check battery)
- INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- OUTPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- DC IN jack
- Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22) or Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61)
- AC adaptor (PSA series: sold separately)
- 20 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use
- Carbon: Approx. 24.5 hours
- Alkaline: Approx. 44 hours
- *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Owner's manual
- Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTES," and "Information")
- Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22)
Size And Weight ( Including Battery)
- Width: 73 mm (2-7/8 inches)
- Depth: 129 mm (5-1/8 inches)
- Height: 59 mm (2-3/8 inches)
- Weight: 360 g (13 oz)
Next Delivery Due: Monday, 31 December 2018
Not currently in stock. We have ordered stock of this item.
- Order now & we will ship to you as soon as we receive stock.
More Stock Arriving Soon
- Estimated arrival date: Monday, 31 December 2018
- Please note this date is subject to change
Stock levels last updated at
UK Delivery £4.99