Zoom make some of the best, affordable multi-fx units on the market today. They're known for compacting great sounding digital effects into small enclosures and they've announced their newest addition to the family, the G3n!
It has 68 on-board effects that include overdrive, distortion, EQ, compression, delay, reverb, flanger, phaser and chorus.
Not only does the G3n have effects on-board, but it also has 5 different amp emulations as well as 5 different cab emulations meaning you could play a gig with just this unit and your guitar. It has stereo outputs that you can use directly out to the mixing desk and get a full fat guitar sound with a product that can fit in your backpack.
To make life easier, you can use the free ZOOM software to download and set up all of your patches where you can link up to 7 effects at one time in any order.
The user interface is easy to use which is a major plus considering most effects units are complicated and confusing. There are 3 independent screens that have 4 knobs along the bottom of them. Each knob lines up with a parameter on screen, and changing that effect is as easy as turning the knob.
Along the bottom of the actual pedal are 3 soft footswitches which are your bank controls as well as a tuner function. And just above those you have 3 traditional latching-type footswitches which will turn effects on and off and those are marked as FS1, FS2 and FS3.
The ins and outs
There's a 1/4" jack input with stereo outputs for any stereo effects that you may run like chorus and delay as well as an Aux input to play along with smartphones and music players. And if you want to play silently, then you can take advantage of the headphone output.
The trump card is the looper function on-board. It has up to 80 seconds of phrase recording with 68 rhythms pre-loaded that you can use in conjunction with the looper for some cool drum beats or percussion.
- 68 on-board high-quality digital effects, including distortion, overdrive, EQ, compression, delay, reverb, flanging, phasing, and chorusing
- 5 new amp emulators plus 5 cabinet emulators
- 75 custom-designed factory patches
- Free ZOOM Guitar Lab Mac/Windows software allows downloading of additional effects and patches
- Use up to 7 effects simultaneously, chained together in any order
- 3 stomp box switches allow effects to instantly be brought in and out
- Auto Save function
- On-board chromatic tuner
- Stereo/mono Looper allows recording of up to 80 seconds of phrase recording
- 68 built-in rhythm patterns that can be used in conjunction with the Looper
- Tap Tempo
- Auxiliary stereo input jack for connection of smartphones and music players
- Dedicated stereo headphone out
- Control input for external foot pedal
- Included AC adapter