The Fender American Special for a long time has been the go to for those that want the best Fender USA has to offer but don't need all of the bells and whistles. This version of the American Special comes loaded with a set of HSS pickups which only makes it better for harder rock styles.
Real USA Build
Unlike other guitars in this price bracket this guitar has the same USA build quality that all Fender players dream of. Both the alder body and maple neck have been produced using the same materials and techniques that are used on the American Standard and other models.
As it is made in the USA this guitar has a great premium feel that you just don't get with Mexican made versions. That all comes down to the quality craftsmanship of all the craftsmen at the USA factory and the care they put in to every guitar.
Hot But Traditional Hardware
While some versions of the American Special Strat come with a set of traditional SSS pickups this guitar is a little bit different. You have a much chunkier sound in the bridge but with classic middle and neck sounds thanks to the HSS pickup set that uses Fender's Atomic humbucking bridge pickup with Texas Specials in the middle and neck.
These rather hot overwound pickups sound great for a myriad of different styles and thanks to hum canceling in the bridge position you can use a lot more gain than usual. This overwinding also helps you get a nice tight midrange so you can cut through a mix better whatever the style.
You also get the strong and stable vintage style synchronized tremolo on this guitar. For smooth and subtle vibes and maybe even some crazier work as well this tremolo is a must for a classic strat.
Here's what Fender say about the American Special Stratocaster HSS
Fender introduces the American Special Series Stratocaster HSS guitar, which puts everything you want in an affordable U.S.-made instrument within your reach. Features include alder body, maple neck with 9.5"-radius fingerboard and jumbo frets, Texas Special middle and neck pickups, Atomic humbucking bridge pickup, vintage-style synchronized tremolo and satin urethane finish. The American Special Series - guitars for the times.
- Model Name: American Special Stratocaster HSS
- Series: American Special
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Neck Shape: Modern "C"
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Jumbo Frets
- Position Inlays: White Dot
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
- Neck Material: Maple
- Nut Width: 1.6875" (43 mm)
- Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
- Headstock: Large '70s Style
- Neck Plate: Standard 4 Bolt
- Truss Rod Nut: 1/8" American Series
- Pickup Configuration: H/S/S
- Bridge Pickup: Atomic Humbucking
- Middle Pickup: Texas Special Single-Coil
- Neck Pickup: Texas Special Single-Coil Neck Pickup
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
- Special Electronics: Greasebucket Tone Circuit (rolls off high without adding bass)
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup) Greasebucket Tone Circuit, (Rolls Off Highs without Adding Bass) Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup), Greasebucket Tone Circuit
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Bridge: Vintage-Style Synchronized Tremolo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Tuning Machines: Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
- Switch Tips: Black
- Tremolo Arm Handle: Vintage Style Tremolo Arm
- Strings: Fender USA Super 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Polishing Cloth: Polishing Cloth Included