Vox Starstream Type 1 in Metallic Red Frame with Black Body
When you are looking for a versatile instrument that can do all kinds of sounds plenty of people will point to any of a wide range of guitars that although they still have limitations do make a wide range of sounds. Vox are looking to smash that market wide open with the Startstream Type 1 possibly the most versatile guitar ever made.
The key to making this guitar such a session musicians dream is the AREOS-D modelling unit build in to the body. Powered off of 4xAA batteries you get access to 27 different models right at your fingertips. 5 Different electric guitar models covering single coils, humbuckers and 12 string guitars make up most of the options and then acoustic guitar, banjo, sitar, resonator and synth make up a majority of the rest.
These models have been carefully crafted to work with the Starstream to offer high quality sounds with no delay or latency. Nothing is worse than using modelling gear and having a delay from when you play ruining the feel and response of the instrument which is vital for a good performance.
The Guitar Part
This guitar features some seriously cool construction. I seriously doubt you have ever seen a guitar like this before. The core of the body which holds all of the hardware is made out of Mango a strong wood that resonates really well.
The rest of the body is actually made out of a thing 3D frame that has been carved to fit comfortably against your body. They say that by making it fit so close not only does it reduce fatigue but it also supports the right hand better for greater picking accuracy.
As part of the modelling system the Starstream actually has inbuilt effects that are dependant on the model you are using. On the electric guitar options you have overdrive and on everything else you have reverb. All of this is controllable using the effects control knob on the module.
At the end of the day you may not use these effects live but it makes the Startstream an amazing practice and recording tool. Especially when you realise it also has a 3.5mm line out that you can run to your headphones.
Here's what Vox say about the Starstream Type 1
The company that pioneered onboard electronics introduces a fresh new approach to the modern electric guitar. Equipped with the innovative AREOS-D system, this new line embodies a sleek, new cutting-edge design from VOX.
Created to provide a wide range of sounds including electric guitar, acoustic guitar, synths and other stringed instruments, the VOX Starstream Type-1 is the ultimate product if you are seeking a new way of looking at what a guitar is and what it can do. Whether you are playing with a band, in the studio or practicing silently at night with headphones, the Starstream Type-1 offers exciting new possibilities.
Incorporating the AREOS-D system, the Starstream Type-1 is the latest expression of VOX's long-standing tradition of breaking through the boundaries of onboard guitar electronics, putting control over your sound at your fingertips. The system integrates several essential elements: magnetic pickups for authentic electric guitar models; a piezo pickup system for rich-sounding traditional instruments; a powerful DSP engine; familiar volume, tone and pickup selector controls and a Control Module that provides instant access to important parameters. Whether you are looking for the flexibility of 27 instrument models instantly at your command or desire the convenience of tailoring models to sound amazing through headphones, the Starstream Type-1 offers an unmatched sonic experience.
Advanced ergonomic considerations led to the unique frame construction. While traditional electric guitar designs are rooted in the 1950s, the Starstream Type-1 follows a new path. Its shape and form echo the forward thinking offered by its electronics. The frame is three dimensionally contoured for maximum comfort, easily conforming to your personal style. Equipped with a smoothly shaped neck, unlimited upper fret access, warm-toned resonant wood body, specially voiced magnetic pickups and a balanced, easy to use tremolo system; this is the ultimate modern guitar.
- Onboard System: AREOS-D System, incorporating the Control Module, Magnetic Pickups, Piezo Pickup, Volume, Tone and Pickup Selector Switch
- Body: Mango
- Neck: Maple
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Neck: Fingerboard Radius: 310mm, Neck Shape: "C" Shape, Scale Length: 25 1/8" (638 mm), Number of Frets: 22, Fret Size: Medium jumbo, Nut Width: 43 mm
- Pickups: VOX XLM x 2, Piezo Pickup in each Saddle
- Bridge: 2 Post Tremolo
- Controls: 3 position model switch, Group selector, VOLUME knob, TONE knob, DRIVE/REVERB knob, POWER button and LED, FX (effect) /CANCEL button and LED, WRITE button and LED
- Number of Sounds: 27 (9 banks x 3)
- User Programs: 6 (2 banks x 3)
- Outputs: Guitar output jack (1/4" phone type), Headphone jack (1/8" phone type)
- Power: Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4, or Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4
- Expected Battery Life under Continuous Use: Alkaline battery: 11 hours, Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: 15 hours * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Colour Options: Starstream Type-1 Black (VSS-1-BK/Black Frame with Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Red (VSS-1-RD/Black Frame with Semi-Gloss Red body), Starstream Type-1 Frame Black (VSS-1-FBK Metallic Black Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Frame White (VSS-1-FWH/Metallic White Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Frame Red (VSS-1-FRD/Metallic Red Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body)
- Accessories: Tremolo Arm, Adjustment wrench, Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4 (for checking the instrument purpose only), Gig bag