Jerry Horton as the guitarist for Nu-Metal rockers for Papa Roach has been using Schecter guitars for over 15 years! Now after various signature models this 2015 model offers up a new take on the Tempest design that has simple looks but incredible tones. This guitar is a perfect example of what a rock guitar can be. No matter if you are a fan of Papa Roach or not this is still a great guitar.
Signature Rock Sound
The Papa Roach style has changed a lot over 15+ years of rocking stages around the world. From their heavy nu-metal inspired rap rock roots to their more modern alt rock styling the guitar tone has changed with them. Therefore this guitar not only needed to be able to go all out for their heavier back catalogue but also clean up nicely with clear articulation for their more recent tracks.
This guitar achieves this through its use of high quality tonewoods and the excellent new Schecter USA Pasadena Plus pickups. These pickups are hotter than the normal Pasadena pickups and also feature a more pronounced upper midrange. The real magic is that they were able to do these things without making the pickup have an overly scooped sound. This means that you will really cut through a large band mix without the need for a second guitarist and your sound will remain to be clear no matter how much gain you pack on.
Based on the Solo 6 and Tempest models that Jerry has been using for many years this 2015 signature model has an all mahogany construction aside from a rosewood fingerboard on top of the neck. This choice of woods mean that this guitar sounds huge even without a tonne of gain.
It is not just the choice of woods that make this feel so good though. The neck has been carved to a thin 'C' shape which feels great to move around on and the 14" fretboard radius just makes it even smoother. Finally this neck has been set in to the body rather than being screwed to give it a better feel and great sustain. So you can dig in to this guitar all night long with no issue.
Top Notch Hardware
The pickups aren't the only piece of hardware that are straight from the world of high end parts. You also have Schecter locking tuners and a TonePros TOM bridge to keep your guitar tuning stable all night long as well as features like Graph Tech XL Ivory Tusq nut make this guitar an amazing hard rock machine!
- Model Name: Jerry Horton Tempest
- Item Number: 256
- Guitar Colors: Satin White (SWHT)
- Country of Origin: South Korea
- Dexterity: Right Handed
- Construction: Set-Neck
- Body Material: Mahogany
- Top Contour: Flat Top
- Neck Material: Mahogany 3-pc
- Fretboard Material: Rosewood
- Binding: White Multi-ply
- Inlays: Mother of Pearl Dots
- Side Dot Markers: Glow In The Dark Dots with Black Circle
- Scale: 25.5” (648mm)
- Frets: 24 X-Jumbo
- Fretboard Radius: 14” (355mm)
- Neck Shape: Thin ‘C’
- Thickness: @ 1st Fret- .787” (20mm)/ @ 12th Fret- .866” (22mm)
- Nut: Graph Tech XL Ivory Tusq
- Nut Width: 1.653” (42mm)
- Truss Rod: 2-Way Adjustable Rod w/ 5/32” (4mm) Allen Nut
- Bridge Pickup: Schecter USA Pasadena Plus™
- Neck Pickup: Schecter USA Pasadena™
- Controls: Volume/Volume/Tone(Push-Pull)/3-Way Switch
- Hardware Color: Black
- Bridge: TonePros T3BT TOM & T1Z Tailpiece
- Tuners: Schecter Locking
- Knobs:Grip Tip Speed Knob
- Strings:Ernie Ball Regular Slinky #2221 (.010-.046)