Steve Lukather is a man who needs no introduction. With a massive career as the main guitar player in Toto and an equally amazing solo career he has built up a unique playing style that he plays with his own signature guitar. Made by the amazing team at Music Man this guitar takes Steve's original Luke signature and brings it into the future with some great new hardware.
Music Man Design
If you have ever played a Music Man guitar you know that it doesn't really feel like anything else you can buy. This comes from the unique finishes they use and also their very thin necks. We are not talking about thickness in terms of depth but in terms of width. The fretboard is noticeably smaller than on other guitars making it incredibly easy to get your hands around this neck.
Made with the classic Music Man combination of an alder body with a roasted maple neck and rosewood fingerboard this guitar is a dream to hold. Not only is it relatively lightweight but it is also carved in such a way that it is always comfortable to play no matter if standing or sitting. This combination of materials not only makes it a pleasure to play but it is also a tone machine with incredible sustain. Great for any kind of lead work you will not be disappointed with this guitar.
Unlike the old Luke guitar which used a set of EMG HSS pickups this guitar is instead fitted with a set of custom DiMarzio pickups made for Steve Lukather. These have a much more natural and open sound when compared to the old active pickups so it works better for smoother blues, jazz and rock licks.
What really separates this guitar from other dual humbucker loaded guitars is the use of its active preamp circuit that offers some incredible new sounds. Looking at it you would think it is just your standard pickups selector, volume control and tone control setup that we are all so used to. You are mostly right but under the volume pot lies a stunning mid gain boost circuit. By simply lifting up this control knob you can go from a crunchy rhythm to a shredding lead instantly.
- Model: Luke3
- Size: 12-3/16" wide, 1-3/4" thick, 36-7/16" long (31.0 cm wide, 4.5 cm thick, 92.6 cm long)
- Weight: 7 lbs, 8 oz (3.40 kg) - varies slightly
- Body Wood: Alder
- Body Finish: High gloss polyester
- Body Colors: Black, Bodhi Blue
- Bridge: Standard - Music Man floating vintage tremolo of chrome plated, hardened steel with bent steel saddles
- Scale Length: 25-1/2" (64.8 cm)
- Neck Radius: 12" (30.5 cm)
- Headstock Size: Only 5-7/8" (14.9 cm) long
- Frets: 22 - Low profile, wide
- Neck Width: 1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut, 2-3/16" (55.6 mm) at last fret
- Neck Wood: Select roasted maple neck
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Neck Colors: Standard - Natural with finished headstock
- Tuning Machines: Schaller M6-IND locking
- Truss Rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal
- Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
- Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined control cover
- Controls: Custom Music Man active preamp; push/push volume for gain boost, 500kohm passive tone - .022µF tone capacitor
- Switching: 5-way lever pickup selector
- Pickups: Standard - HH with 2 DiMarzio Transition humbucking; Optional - HSS with 1 DiMarzio Transition humbucking; 2 DiMarzio custom single coil
- Left Handed: No
- Strings: 9p-11p-16p-24w-32w-42w (RPS 9 Slinkys #2239)