2018 marks the 50-year anniversary of when Gibson introduced reissues to the guitar industry. Whilst it might seem unthinkable today, Gibson stopped producing traditional Les Pauls between 1961 and 1968 but when the Les Paul made its comeback in '68 the Custom was one of the models reintroduced.
The expert builders have gone into meticulous detail to recreate the look, feel, and the sound of an original 1968 Les Paul Custom, giving you a piece of that vintage vibe at a fraction of the cost.
Body and Neck
The body is made from a solid piece of lightweight, non-weight-relieved Mahogany which will make it comfortable to play without compromising on the sustain and tone that comes from a Les Paul's solid mahogany construction. This guitar features a glued-in, long tenon Mahogany neck for added sustain and stability, the latter of which is only enhanced by the use of hide glue which creates a stronger bond between materials. Hide glue is also used to secure the Maple top and the Ebony fingerboard so you can be assured of the durability of this guitar.
This particular guitar has a VOS (vintage original spec) finish which is designed to make it look exactly like a Les Paul Custom would fresh out of the factory in 1968.
The 50th Anniversary Les Paul Custom comes loaded with two 68 custom humbuckers. The 68 custom pickups are designed to recreate the sound of Gibson's humbuckers from 1968 and will give you that authentic, instantly-recognisable Les Paul tone that has helped shape much of music for decades.
Custom Shop Accessories
Inside the gold lined, black Custom Shop hard case are many exclusive accessories to celebrate the 50-year anniversary including a replica 1968 Gibson Gazette and 1968-style Gibson guitar picks. This guitar also comes with a 50th-anniversary switch plate medallion and a Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity.
This guitar is one of a limited run of 300 and is a chance to own a unique guitar commemorating Gibson's history.
Here's What Gibson Say About the Custom Shop 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom Ebony
Celebrating 50 Continuous Years of Les Paul Customs
In the summer of 1968, Gibson did something unprecedented. They re-released two guitar models that were discontinued a decade earlier, a Les Paul Custom and a Les Paul Goldtop. Many famous guitarists at the time adopted 1950s Les Paul models because of their heavy tones, vocal qualities and endless sustain, creating a demand for the classic body style that continues through today.
The 1968 Les Paul Custom stood apart from its predecessors in a few significant ways. Instead of a solid mahogany body, it now had a solid maple top on a mahogany back — adding the clarity and bite that many rock guitarists sought. It also came standard with two humbuckers as opposed to three, providing additional picking clearance. And lastly it had a 14-degree peghead angle for reduced string tension. This set of features instantly became the new standard for the Les Paul Custom model, which has been produced continuously by Gibson ever since.
This 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom was designed to be the final say in historical accuracy, tone and feel. Every detail and spec was meticulously revived by the skilled artisans at Gibson Custom Shop to provide an amazing vintage experience. Each will include an exclusive case, collectible switch plate medallion, throwback hang tags and guitar picks, and a copy of the 1968 Gibson Gazette which announced the new Les Paul models to the world. Limited to only 300 total instruments produced.
- Gibson Custom Limited Edition
- Body Style: Les Paul
- Back: Lightweight Solid Mahogany Back
- Top: 2-Piece Maple Top, Hide Glue Fit
- Weight relief: None
- Neck: Solid Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit, 14 Degree Peghead Angle
- Neck profile: Medium-Chunky C-Shape, scanned from original
- Nut width: 1.687”, 42.85mm
- Fingerboard: Solid Ebony, Hide Glue Fit
- Scale length: 24.75”, 62.865cm
- Number of frets: 22
- Nut: Nylon
- Inlay: Pearl Block
- Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-o-matic w/ Nylon Saddles
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Knobs: Black Witch Hats w/ Gold Reflectors
- Tuners: Kluson Waffleback
- Plating: Gold
- Neck pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- Bridge pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness with Black Beauty Capacitors, Switchcraft Toggle Switch
- Finishes: Ebony VOS
- Case: Gibson Custom Black Hardshell with Gold Lining
- Collateral: 50th Anniversary Switch Plate Medallion (w/ Extra Black Plastic Cover in the Case), Replica 1968 Gibson Gazette, Exclusive 1968-style Gibson Guitar Picks, Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity