Born in NYC’s Little Italy, D’Angelico is widely regarded as one of the finest archtop guitar manufacturers of the 20th century. Nowadays, they make guitars of all shapes and sizes; all built with the same exceptional detail, mastery and flair that put them on the map.
The Premier Series EXL-1 is the modern-day affordable counterpart to John D’Angelico’s original archtop. Understated yet spellbinding looks, and an authentic design with a handful of modern appointments — this timeless instrument delivers hollow-body warmth in 21st Century fashion.
- Hollowbody Construction — Yields a balanced and organic tone with stellar resonance; enhanced by the bright-sounding laminated Maple/Spruce tonewoods.
- Single Cutaway Body Design — Provides generous access to the higher register; perfect for throwing in silky-smooth lead lines.
- Multi-Piece Maple Neck — Layered, 3-piece construction adds rigidity and ensures exceptional tuning stability.
- Medium Jumbo Frets — Offer a controllable feel for wide vibrato and pitch-perfect string bends.
- Seymour Duncan Designed Pickup — Neck-mounted, floating mini-humbucker highlights the instrument's naturally punchy mids and warm acoustic edge.
- Included Gig Bag — Perfectly protects the Premier EXL-1 against knocks on the road!
Body & Neck
The EXL-1’s curvy single-cut body employs Laminated Flamed Maple back/sides and a Laminated Spruce top. This provides plenty of top-end clarity to counter the hollow-body warmth, with a pinch of acoustic-esque resonance for good measure.
The multi-piece neck employs 3 strips of solid Maple. This adds yet more mid-range/top-end brightness to the woolly humbucker sound, great for bringing out your jazz leads and rhythmic comping.
Hardware & Electronics
A single Duncan-designed floating mini-humbucker sits in the neck position, just like the archtop designs of old. This classy-style pickup ensures a bold, dynamic response that perfectly complements the tonewood combination.
The hardware is chrome from top to bottom, including elegant Rotomatic Stairstep tuners — it’s an undeniably striking instrument! But everything has a purpose. Expect fantastic tuning stability, squeaky-clean intonation and rock-solid reliability across the board.
- Body Style: Hollowbody
- Body Shape: Single Cutaway
- Body Material: Laminated Flamed Maple
- Top Material: Laminated Spruce
- Binding (Top): Multi-Ply Cream
- Neck Material: 3-Piece Maple
- Neck Shape: C
- Neck Joint: Set-Thru
- Fretboard Material: Ovangkol
- Fingerboard Radius: 14”
- Frets: 22, Medium Jumbo
- Inlays: Mother of Pearl Acrylic Block
- Nut Material: PPS
- Scale Length: 25.5”
- Truss Rod: Dual-Action
- Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan-Designed Floating Mini-Humbucker
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Bridge: Ovangkol
- Tailpiece: D’Angelico Stairstep Trapeze
- Tuners: Rotomatic Stairstep
- Hardware Colour: Chrome
- Strings: D'Angelico Electrozinc Jazz 12s (12-52)