The G-400 is one of Epiphone’s most sought after guitars – for obvious reasons. It’s modelled on one of Gibson’s most iconic designs, and indeed one of the most recognisable guitars of all time: the SG Standard in Vintage Cherry. A couple of tweaks ensure this one stands out from the crowd, however…
Body & Neck
As with many of Epiphone and Gibson’s classic models, it’s a Mahogany double-bill. Mahogany has been the tonewood of choice for SGs for decades. It offers a full-bodied warmth with plenty of low end, and of course that legendary sustain.
One of the standout features is the stunning flame maple top. This adds a contrasting luxury to an otherwise subtle design. The maple addition also adds a top-end sheen to the sound, perfectly suited to snarling lead playing. A slim taper neck profile with subtle body contouring keeps ergonomics in mind.
Electronics & Hardware
The G-400 is equipped with Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers in the both bridge and neck positions. These are hot enough for modern genres, but clean up and smooth out when you roll off the gain. Classic SG tone, but not quite as you know it; you also get push-pull coil splitting. Combined with a 3-way pickup selector and individual volume/tone controls, the G-400 Deluxe PRO conceals a surprisingly versatile tonal toolkit.
Gold hardware, Pearloid Trapezoid inlays and Wilkinson Vintage Classic tuners finish it all off with stunning finesse. While it retains elements of the original design, this is a truly standout instrument in the Epiphone range.
- Top Material: AAA Flame Maple Veneer
- Body Material: Mahogany
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper™; D profile
- Neck Joint: Glued In
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Pau Ferro with pearloid Trapezoid inlays
- Binding: Fingerboard--1-ply; Cream
- Fingerboard Radius:12"
- Frets: 22; medium-jumbo
- Bridge: LockTone™ Tune-o-matic/Stopbar
- Nut Width: 1-11/16"
- Hardware: Gold: HB, TL, TR colors Nickel: CF color
- Machine Heads: Wilkinson™ Vintage Classics; 18:1 ratio
- Neck Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic PRO™ ; 4-wire
- Bridge Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic PRO™ ; 4-wire
- Epiphone All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector
- Neck Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping
- Bridge Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping
- Neck Pickup Tone
- Bridge Pickup Tone