The Peavey Invective 120 is an uber-powerful 120w amp head designed in conjunction with Misha Mansoor from Periphery.
He used the opportunity to get all of his crazy/cool ideas that he's always wanted into an amplifier. For example, there are 2x 500w pedal outputs from the amp so you can use the amp to power pedals in your effects loop, directly from the amp - even if it is a pedal that needs loads of current like the Strymon or Eventide pedals.
The amp started off as a 5150 type amp but quickly turned into the Misha Mansoor sounding amp. The big change that they made was the output transformer which was specifically designed to give the amp a tight, powerful bottom-end and soaring top-end response.
Big, Blooming Clean
A lot of time was spent designing the clean channel on the Invective head purely because most high-gain amps don't have the best clean channels. Misha wanted the invective to have a slightly compressed clean so that you'd easily be able to switch from dirty to clean and still have a controlled sound.
Here's what Peavey say about the Invective head
Guitarists with heavier tastes looking for their next upgrade will find a sturdy solution in the new Peavey® invective.120 Head and invective™ 212 Cabinet. This dynamic duo is perfectly suited for each other, helping players achieve the most revered metal sounds, from woody and clean to the most extreme of high gain tones.
A tube amp only sounds as good as what's inside, and Peavey's invective.120 delivers quality with four matched JJ 6L6GC output tubes with top-loaded bias test points and adjustment. On the rear panel, players will find paralleled speaker outputs with impedance selector, an MSDI direct output with Level/Tone/Ground Lift, MIDI out/thru, and MIDI footswitch input. The included footswitch has nine presets to further help the player achieve their desired tone. A remote switchable rack loop and effects loop, half-power switch, and two 9VDC at 500mA auxiliary power jacks complete the back panel.
On the front panel, players will find even more options and advanced control. The invective.120 Head has a single input with four key channels: Clean channel with boost drive and tone; (very) Clean channel with gain/low/mid/high/post; Lead/Crunch channel input with muting gate threshold; and Lead/Crunch channel with boost level and tone. All channels, as well as the channel select with bullet LEDs, are remote switchable. Both the Lead and Crunch channels have independent pre- and post-gain controls as well as shared low/mid/high EQ. The standby and power switches with blue jeweled pilot light indicate when the amp is ready. Just adjust the Master Resonance, Presence and Volume knobs, and it's ready to rock.
- Single input
- Master Resonance
- Master Presence
- Master Volume
- Shared Low/Mid/High EQ on Lead/Crunch channels
- Power and Standby switches
- MIDI / Footswitch Input
- MIDI Out/Thru
- 2 x 9VDC at 500mA Auxiliary power jacks
- Rack Loop (remote switchable)
- Independent Pre and Post Gain controls on Lead and Crunch channels
- Effects Loop (remote switchable)
- Lead/Crunch channel Boost Level & Tone (remote switchable)
- MSDI Direct Output with Level/Tone/Ground Lift
- Lead/Crunch channel input muting Gate Threshold (remote switchable)
- Paralleled speaker outputs with Impedance Selector
- Channel select with "bullet" LEDs (remote switchable)
- Half Power switch
- Clean channel Gain/Low/Mid/High/Post - VERY CLEAN
- 4 Matched JJ6L6GC output tubes
- Clean channel Boost Drive & Tone (remote switchable)
- Top-loaded bias test points and adjustment
- Blue Jeweled Pilot Light
- Weight Unpacked: 48.39 lb(21.95 kg)
- Weight Packed: 57.54 lb(26.1 kg)