The G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow is a T-shaped guitar with modern attitude and bite! It's got the twangy bridge pickup that you'd use for rhythm and cutting lead lines and a fat sounding humbucker in the neck position for warm lead tones.
But the f-hole cutaway gives the tone a certain air and warmth that you wouldn't get from a full solid body electric guitar.
The bridge pickup is an MFD (magnetic field design) single coil pickup which uses a ceramic bar over a magnet instead of the traditional Alnico magnet. This allows you to set the pickup output per string rather than affecting the while pickup in traditional single coil designs.
The neck feels comfortable in the hand and the medium jumbo frets make this guitar play like a modern instrument with a classic sound. The pickups are versatile enough to nail any style from blues to hard rock making this a go-to guitar for studio and stage use.
G&L guitars were formed in the late 70s by Leo Fender, George Fullerton and Dale Hyatt after Leo Fender had produced instruments for Music Man.
These guitars well-built instruments with the classic vibe and sound that you'd expect from any guitar designed by Leo Fender. Ths includes innovations like:
- MFD Pickup - This pickup uses a ceramic bar over a magnet rather than a traditional Alnico magnet. This is so that you can set the output of each string rather than the overall volume like you would with traditional singlecoils.
- G&L Saddle-Lock bridge - This is the use of a small Allen screw on the side of the bridge to remove side-to-side movement of the string saddles. By keeping the locking saddles together, you'll prevent loss of sustain.
Here's what G & L say about the ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
The G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy is a factory-modded version of Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on guitar, and the semi-hollow version takes it further with G&L’s distinctive twin voice chambers and f-hole added to a beautiful swamp ash body. Like its solid-body stablemate, this axe delivers a well-balanced pairing of a G&L alnico humbucker designed by Paul Gagon and a single-coil G&L Magnetic Field Design bridge pickup designed by Leo Fender.
Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the single-coil MFD™ bridge pickup delivers crisp attack with complex harmonics while individual brass saddles offer modern levels of intonation refinement. Flip to the neck ‘bucker and you’ll discover all the charismatic warmth you could ask for. Put ‘em together and you’ll find yourself immersed in exploring the limits of this guitar’s surprising versatility. What’s more, the semi-hollow body softens the midrange attack, accentuating the low and high harmonics.
The Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow is dripping with authentic G&L mojo at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Paul Gagon-designed AS4255C alnico neck humbucker, Leo Fender-designed G&L MFD single coil bridge pickup made in Fullerton, California
- BODY WOOD: semi-hollow Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8"
- NECK RADIUS: 9"
- NECK PROFILE: medium C
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel
- TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: traditional boxed-steel bridge with individual brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone