'Caribbean Rosewood' Fretboard
This G&L model may feature a Metopium Brownei fretboard, which is often referred to as 'Caribbean Rosewood'. Despite its common name, Caribbean Rosewood is not a Dalbergia family species, and therefore it isn't CITES restricted. For more information about CITES, check out our dedicated guide.
The G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy is a T-shaped guitar with modern attitude and bite! It's got the twangy bridge pickup that you'd use for rhythm and cutting lead lines and a fat sounding humbucker in the neck position for warm lead tones.
The bridge pickup is an MFD (magnetic field design) single coil pickup which uses a ceramic bar over a magnet instead of the traditional Alnico magnet. This allows you to set the pickup output per string rather than affecting the while pickup in traditional single coil designs.
The neck feels comfortable in the hand and the medium jumbo frets make this guitar play like a modern instrument with a classic sound. The pickups are versatile enough to nail any style from blues to hard rock making this a go-to guitar for studio and stage use.
G&L guitars were formed in the late 70s by Leo Fender, George Fullerton and Dale Hyatt after Leo Fender had produced instruments for Music Man.
These guitars well-built instruments with the classic vibe and sound that you'd expect from any guitar designed by Leo Fender. This includes innovations like:
- MFD Pickup - This pickup uses a ceramic bar over a magnet rather than a traditional Alnico magnet. This is so that you can set the output of each string rather than the overall volume like you would with traditional single-coils.
- G&L Saddle-Lock bridge - This is the use of a small Allen screw on the side of the bridge to remove side-to-side movement of the string saddles. By keeping the locking saddles together, you'll prevent loss of sustain.
Here's what G&L say about the ASAT Classic Bluesboy:
The G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy is a factory-modded version of Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. For players looking for the unmistakable warmth of a classic humbucker in the neck position, the Bluesboy delivers with a well-balanced pairing of a G&L alnico humbucker and a single-coil G&L Magnetic Field Design bridge pickup designed by Leo Fender.
Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the single-coil MFD bridge pickup delivers crisp attack with complex harmonics while individual brass saddles offer modern levels of intonation refinement. Flip to the neck ‘bucker and you’ll discover all the charismatic warmth you could ask for. Put ‘em together and you’ll find yourself immersed in exploring the limits of this guitar’s surprising versatility.
The Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy is dripping with mojo at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back.
- Construction: Bolt-on
- Scale: 25 1/2"
- Pickups: G&L AS4255C Alnico Neck Humbucker; G&L MFD Single Coil Bridge Pickup Made In Fullerton, California
- Body Wood: Swamp Ash
- Neck Wood: Hard-rock Maple With Rosewood Fingerboard
- Neck Width At Nut: 1 5/8"
- Neck Finish: Clear Satin
- Neck Radius: 9 "
- Neck Profile: Medium C
- Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo, Nickel
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Tuning Keys: 18:1 Ratio, Sealed-back
- Bridge: Traditional Boxed-steel Bridge With Individual Brass Saddles
- Controls: 3-position Pickup Selector, Volume, Tone