The CLF Research Skyhawk is assembled at G&L’s legendary Fullerton factory, where Leo Fender said he made his best guitars.
It harks back to 80’s styling, but is equipped with the newest and most forward-thinking technology the Californian company can conjure.
Body and neck
The body is made of a bright Swamp Ash which has an excellent weighty balance. The comfortable classic ‘C’ shape Maple neck provides the authentic, homely playing experience of a vintage guitar. On top is a 12” radius Maple fretboard embedded with 22 nickel medium jumbo frets.
A bolt-on neck design provides plenty of sustain for long, winding passages. Have the peace of mind that your guitar remains stable throughout long practice sessions or live shows.
While the feel of the Skyhawk is classic in feel, the tones are meaty. Three Leo Fender-designed MFD single coil pickups sound sparkly but add plenty of grit.
As well as the standard five-way pickup selector, you get a mini-toggle expander switch taken from the S-500. This opens up even more pickup combinations. Now you can use the neck and bridge pickups at the same time, or even all three at once!
Non-expanded (normal) mode:
- Position 1 - Bridge
- Position 2 - Bridge & Middle
- Position 3 - Middle
- Position 4 - Middle & Neck
- Position 5 - Neck
- Position 1 - Bridge & Neck
- Position 2 - Bridge & Middle & Neck
- Position 3 - Middle
- Position 4 - Neck & Middle & Bridge
- Position 5 - Neck & Bridge
The Skyhawk’s hardware is exemplary design from G&L. It’s equipped with their in-house designed dual-fulcrum vibrato tremolo for super smooth comfort and movement. While the saddle lock bridge holds great tuning retention. It also transfers more resonance into the body for a greater playing experience.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender-designed G&L MFD single coils
- BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple w/ Maple fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Classic C with 12" radius and 1 5/8" nut-width
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel, Plek dressed
- TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum vibrato with forged brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB system), mini-toggle switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together.
- CASE: Deluxe Tolex hardshell