While it may not be as iconic as Fender's Precision or Jazz Bass models, the Mustang Bass has become a beloved model for its playable short-scale length, unique offset body shape and warm tone. This limited edition Mustang Bass is part of Fender's affordable Player series, yet stays true to the legacy left by the originals as a great quality and accessible bass.
The main feature that separates the Mustang Bass from its Precision and Jazz Bass counterparts is its 30" scale length (distance between the bridge and nut). This short scale results in a lower string tension and makes the instrument easier to fret and control notes on. This is great for beginner bassists or guitarists who want a bass in their arsenal, but don't like the longer neck and tighter strings of a conventional 34" scale bass.
More experienced bassists should also consider a short scale bass not just for the difference in feel, but the contrast in tone too. With a shorter scale length and looser strings, this result is a more pronounced low end and reduced highs. It sounds weird, but a short-scale bass actually gives you a bassier sound!
P/J Pickup Configuration
Unlike the original models from the '60s, the Fender Player Mustang Bass has a Precision-style split-coil pickup in the middle position and a Jazz-style single-coil pickup in the bridge position. The P-Bass pickup provides that classic warm, woody bass tone while the J-Bass pickup provides a bright and punchy sound with plenty of funky attack.
With the 3-way toggle switch you can select either pickup or engage both for the best of both worlds. This pickup configuration makes the Player Mustang Bass surprisingly versatile, and able to handle a wide range of styles.
- Body: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Mustang Bass
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
- Neck Shape: "C" Shape
- Scale Length: 30" (762 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 19
- Frets Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rods: Standard
- Bridge Pickup: Vintage-Style Single-Coil Jazz Bass
- Middle Pickup: Vintage-Style Split Single-Coil Precision Bass
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickups, Position 3. Middle Pickup
- Bridge: 4-Saddle Standard
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Fender Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic