Over 40 years after it was discontinued, Fender's long-missed Lead Series is back and better than ever before! The Fender Lead II is based on the early version from 1979, which features two slanted single-coil pickups that are perfect for producing jangly clean tones.
Complete with a modern C-shaped neck fitted with medium jumbo frets, the Lead II also sports dual-toggle switches for expanded tones, and of course - that unique Lead double-cutaway shape.
Produced in the late '70s and early '80s, the Fender Lead Series had a relatively short lifespan and only a handful of originals can be found on second-hand online marketplaces. Instead of spending eyebrow-raising prices on these often battered vintage guitars, you can now pick up a brand new Fender Lead model that's not only affordable, but modernised to meet the demands of today's musicians!
Body & Neck
In typical Fender fashion, the Lead II boasts a balanced-sounding Alder body that serves as a great foundation for the vibrantly-voiced pickups. Joining the body is a bolt-on Maple neck that yields a bright, snappy character; giving notes plenty of immediacy. Shaped to Fender's popular Modern "C" profile, this neck offers a comfortable feel that both contemporary and traditional players can enjoy.
Electronics & Hardware
Player Series Alnico 5 Strat single-coil pickups give the Lead II its punchy, sparkling tone. With focused lows, potent mids and open highs; this dual single-coil configuration is surprisingly versatile. The switches allow you to not only switch between the pickups, but also reverse their phase for a softer, mid-scooped sound.
The Fender Lead II comes equipped with a hardtail bridge, featuring block saddles that ensure maximum sustain and solid tuning stability, especially in conjunction with the vintage-style machine heads.
- Body: Alder
- Body Finish: Polyester
- Body Shape: Lead
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: Modern "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Frets Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Bridge Pickup: Player Series Alnico 5 Strat Single-Coil
- Neck Pickup: Player Series Alnico 5 Strat Single-Coil
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge And Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Bridge: 6-Saddle String-Through-Body Hardtail With Block Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Strings: Fender USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)