Please note: The images above are not of the actual guitar.
Back in 1950, Fender brought the electric solid-body guitar to life – Ash body, Maple neck, 2 single-coil pickups and that iconic translucent blonde nitrocellulose finish. They called it the Broadcaster, and it was famously short-lived thanks to a trademark dispute with Gretsch.
To honour the 70th Anniversary of this near-mythical instrument, Fender’s Custom Shop has resurrected the Broadcaster for an ultra-special limited run. This stunning Custom Shop Masterbuilt model is a true vintage Fender experience like no other!
Body & Neck
Make no mistake – this guitar is authentic down to the finest detail. Ash was famously used extensively by Fender in the early years due to its availability – it became synonymous with the Fender single-coil sound. The Custom Shop Broadcaster’s body features an offset seam between the Ash body pieces, just like the original.
The one-piece rift-sawn Maple neck features a carefully-calculated ‘50s "U" profile, complete with a compound radius – highly innovative for its time, and a crucial detail to the authenticity of this instrument. 21 medium vintage frets are combined with a tinted flash coat lacquer finish. This provides comfortable, familiar playability – not to mention a beautiful golden hue to the neck.
Hardware & Electronics
One element that’s remained largely unchanged with the Broadcaster’s descendants is the dual single-coil configuration with 3-way switching. For the 70th Anniversary model, Fender’s Custom Shop have opted for a set of hand-wound ’50-’51 Blackguard pickups with ’51 modded Nocaster wiring.
This means that you get a master control and a blend control rather than the more familiar tone control, as well as a little more brightness in the neck position. This provides a truly unique tone that’ll surprise and inspire you in equal measure.
The guitar comes with a “case candy” kit containing a 70th anniversary neck plate, Fat ’50s control assembly and original Broadcaster sales flyer reprint. Also includes deluxe hardshell case, strap and certificate of authenticity.
- Body: 2-Piece Offset Seam Ash
- Body Finish: Journeyman Relic Lacquer
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Tinted Flash Coat Lacquer
- Neck Shape: '50 Broadcaster "U"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" to 9.5" Compound Radius (184 mm to 241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Frets Size: Medium Vintage
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.630” (41.4 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound '50-'51 Blackguard
- Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound '50-'51 Blackguard
- Controls: Volume, Blend
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup With Blender, Position 2. Neck Pickup with Volume, Position 3. Neck Pickup with Volume, 10K Resistor and .001uF Capacitor
- Bridge: 3-Saddle '50 Broadcaster with Brass Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Vintage Style
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black Phenolic
- Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
- Switch Tips: Barrel Style