The Fender American Original 50s Strat captures a historic decade of iconic guitar building in one instrument. It's got the original era styling and ground-breaking guitar tones thanks to the wax potted Pure Vintage '59 pickups.
The thick soft V neck is perfect for chording and the 9.5" fretboard radius gives you modern playability. Other period-correct features include vintage tall frets and 6-point trem but the switching is a modern 5-way so you can still get all of your favourite Strat tones.
The American Original Range
The American Original range focus on decades rather specific years - which could get quite confusing at times.
These guitars have also got a Modern fretboard radius and modern switching. This is helpful because though the old switching systems were period-correct, they weren’t always the most useful to have on-board.
One of the best things about the American Original guitars is their Nitro-Cellulose finish which is done to ensure that these instruments resonate like the Fender guitars of old. The Nitro finish is thinner than a modern gloss finish and this allows the wood to breathe and resonate.
The nitro finish will also mean the guitar will age beautifully. So your instrument will grow old with you and simply sound better with age as the wood and finish settles.
Here's what Fender say about the American Original 50s Strat
When we released the Stratocaster in 1954, we didn't set out to create a classic-but we did. The Stratocaster's sleek style, articulate sound and plethora of innovations redefined electric guitar and opened up a brave new world of musical possibilities. The American Original '50s Stratocaster maintains Fender's legendary original-era style and ground-breaking tone, while adding modern feel and pickup switching.
The wax-potted Pure Vintage '59 single-coil Stratocaster pickups are as period-correct as possible, from the Formvar-coated coil wire to the cloth-covered output wires, fiber bobbins and alnico 5 magnets. The thick ""Soft V"" neck profile is perfect for chording, while the 9.5""-radius fingerboard enhances playability. Other authentic touches include vintage-tall frets, original-era body radii, vintage-style hardware-including a six-point synchronized tremolo bridge-vintage-style hardshell case and a lacquer finish that not only lets the wood ""breathe"" naturally, it also ages in a distinctively appealing way.
The American Original '50s Stratocaster is the best way to experience the performance, style and tone that made Fender a household name among guitarists.
- Ash body with lacquer finish
- Three Pure Vintage '59 single-coil Stratocaster pickups
- Thick ""Soft V""-shaped neck profile; 9.5""-radius fingerboard
- Vintage-style hardware; six-point synchronized tremolo bridge
- Includes vintage-style hardshell case
- Series: American Original
- Body Material: Alder (803, 878), Ash (801)
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Maple, Soft “V”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 21, Vintage Tall
- Position Inlays: Black Dots (Maple)
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Single Line “Fender Deluxe”
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge: Pure Vintage 6-Saddle Synchronized Tremolo
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Eggshell
- Pickups: Pure Vintage ‘59 Single-Coil Strat (Bridge/Middle/Neck)
- Pickup Switching:
- 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and
- Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and
- Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge/Middle
- Control Knobs: Eggshell
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Vintage-Style Hardshell