Boutique pedal company Darkglass have solved how to balance attack, tightness and fat bass guitar distortion with the Microtubes X.
They’ve found a unique way to solve the usual dilemma of sacrificing either high or low-end for a punchy sound. The Microtubes X multiband pedal makes it easy to obtain a great modern tone in a pedalboard-conscious format.
Two variable low and high-pass filters at the beginning of the signal chain split the audio signal. Most mids and treble frequencies are distorted using common CMOS circuitry. This grants complete control over the richness, attack and crunch.
The lows are completely passed through, so they remain undistorted and free from tinny fuzz. You’re able to add huge weight to your tone whilst keeping it tight.
You have even more options using the mix and mids dials. Mix controls the blend between lows and highs, so you can adjust between a full range sound or extreme focus. Mids adds the all-important punchy presence heard in modern rock and metal.
- High-pass frequency: controls the cutoff frequency to be distorted, ranging from 100Hz (for thicker, fuzzier saturation) or 1kHz for ultra-sharp definition
- Low-pass frequency: controls the cutoff frequency to be mixed back to the high-pass side Ranging from 50Hz (for only sub-bass) and 500Hz to preserve some clean mids
- Level: Sets the overall output volume of the unit
- Drive: Sets the amount of distortion for the high pass side
- Mix: Sets the blend between low-pass and high-pass signals
- Mids: Active mid control placed after the Mix control (+-12dB @ 500Hz)
- I/O: 6.5mm / ¼” Jack
- Input impedance: 1M Ohm
- Output impedance: 1k Ohm
- Powered by optional 9V PSU