Tone King has established itself as one of the world's premier boutique amp brands. For almost 20 years, their flagship Imperial amplifier has been a popular choice for guitarists seeking that authentic American amp sound; bell-like cleans, gritty tweed tones, smooth mids and sparkling spring reverb trails.
The Imperial MkII combo from a few years back took the original design to new heights, and this incredible hand-wired amplifier is now available in a convenient head format. Retaining the combo's vintage-voiced tube reverb and tremolo effects, those nostalgic '50s and '60s tones are more than attainable, but the Imperial MkII Head boasts some modern appointments to improve its usability. The most noteworthy addition is the built-in Ironman II reactive power attenuator, letting you achieve super-sweet 6V6-driven tones at practically any volume.
This 2-channel amplifier is arguably Tone King's most versatile to date, and with the ability to mix and match the Imperial MkII 20W head with your favourite speakers and cabinets; the tonal possibilities are almost endless!
Here's what Tone King says about the Imperial MkII Head:
MKII - 20 Years of Improvement
Spring boarding off of the tones that made the original Imperial its flagship amp, Tone King included a few tonal adjustments and additions that make the MKII your new go-to tube amp.
- Handwired board construction improves midrange heft while also improving the highs.
- Rhythm channel tuned for improved Blackface tones with a smoother breakup.
- Lead channel’s Mid-Bite control tightens the low end for added punch and cut.
Ironman II Reactive Attenuation
Tone King included the Ironman II power attenuator aboard the Imperial MKII for even more flexibility. Now you can bring your Imperial’s maxed tube tones to band or home-friendly levels. With its reactive load technology, your amp will sound and respond the same at any volume.
- The 6-step attenuation in a 22-watt amp captures all playing environments from gig to bedroom.
- Reactive load technology maintains the feel and frequency response of your guitar amplifier.
- The High Frequency (HF) compensation switch lets you tame the overall Treble for sweeter overdriven tones.
- Rhythm Bypass switch enables you to use sparkling cleans and heavily overdriven sounds with a flick of a switch.
Onboard Spring Reverb & Tremolo
Spring reverb and bias-modulated tremolo are two effects that define the tone of many vintage American-voiced amps. With its tube-driven reverb and classic Bias Tremolo, intuitively operated by a familiar control layout, you’ll find the Imperial MKII gloriously re-creates those thick, splashing, pulsating tones.
- Bias modulation tremolo circuit delivers vintage-style pulsing amplitude modulation.
- The Tube driven spring reverb ranges from subtle thickening tone all the way to long lush decay.
- Effects carefully tuned to balance across the two channels.
- 20W, all-tube guitar amplifier head voiced for the superb vintage, American tones
- Tubes: 2 x 6V6, 4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AT7 & 1 x 5AR4
- Blackface-style rhythm channel and tweed-like lead channel
- Foot-switchable channels and bias modulation tremolo
- tube-driven reverb
- Onboard Ironman II reactive attenuator for great tone at any volume
- Reactive load technology maintains the feel and response of your guitar amplifier
- Tunable Attenuator with HF Compensation and Rhythm channel Bypass switches
- Baltic Birch USA construction
- Dimensions: 9"(L) x 22.5"(W) x 10.5"(H)
- Weight: 25 lbs.